Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

1974 CJ6 Alaskan postal service

Old 01-31-2018, 05:33 PM
CRM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 CJ6 Alaskan postal service

232 and T14 , D20 case
factory 427 gearing
Right hand drive, still had the myers hard top, and holes where the postal lights were on the fenders.

Mods
clifford 6=8 conversion
clay smith cam
full ARP hardware
Dual outlet header.
frame stiffened a bit with 3/8 plate inserts
cj7 20 gallon plastic fuel tank
Davis HEI
stock radiator
high mount alternator (csi144)
4.0 high volume waterpump (yes it spins the correct direction, I pulled the boss to keep the pulleys inline)
high steer conversion
lunchbox lockers
disc brake conversion
rebuilt the trans and tcase as well as the engine
full stainless brake lines
mustang prop valve
integrated fuse box into dash panel, with auxillary circuits for lighting and such, and modern fuses.
I machined a set of yellow brass bushings the rebuild the steering column, and then used a borgeson steering shaft with unoints fitted to a new steering box, thats backed with a later cj reinforcment bracket, placed inbetween the shackle perch and the frame, a 3/8 spacer made from plate was added to the other side

M.O.R.E greasable 3/4 lift shackles, with new leaf springs with a higher leaf count.

Thats about it for now
I started this resto back in July

Old 02-06-2018, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

SICK! Love CJ6's
Old 02-06-2018, 05:20 PM
CRM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by timroyalsr
SICK! Love CJ6's
its been a challenging build, as I was asked to make it LHD, was a relief in trying to find a steering box, but like building the great wall of china to do a correct firewall change.
the dash alone was hard enough to find, as In 74, cj6 were still using the pre 71 dash.
but everything fitted to it was 74, except for the streering column, which was pre 71 style.
I have a machinist and dimenions recorded for yellow brass brushings to rebuild a pre 71 column, and attach it to a borgeson shaft.
the alternator is a gm marine rated 11si with the factory amc pulley thats been bored to fit.
at 750 rpm it makes 15.5 volts.
Factory 1974 radiator thats been worked on with flexalite dual fans, it runs at 5k rpm for 30min at no more than 180 degrees (yes i run it like that bc i need to know what will fail)
valve springs are chevrolet units, rockers are the later style, pushsods are new Manley units.
It runs like a sewing machine.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:20 PM
CRM
JK Newbie

Default And the build changed directions very quickly

So, yep, I took it all apart, ditched the basiaclly new axles under it, that I had a lot of time in.
started with cutting off all the body mounts, and spring hangers.
I ordered an Ibex 4 seat chassis (no suspension components, just the cage.
gen right builders 3 link for the front
gen right builders 4 link for the rear
chevy full widths.....yes a 12bolt rear, I already had it on hand and this isnt for crawling, its for cruising the ranches down south
Rock Krawler coilovers, king bumps, and offroad design steering parts (reid knuckle and such)
a subaru electric power steering pump
488s, detroits, chromoly shafts all the way around.
Heres some pics of the changes

Quick Reply: 1974 CJ6 Alaskan postal service