JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Garage - Member Builds (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-garage-member-builds-211/)
-   -   Building an overland JK (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-garage-member-builds-211/building-overland-jk-318275/)

krazybird 03-04-2015 02:20 PM

Building an overland JK

Hello everyone, bought my first ever Jeep 2 week ago, still waiting for it. I want to build it for some expedition in the future. Since it's my first I don't necessary have all the recovery tool so I was thinking to spend money on this first before changing stuff that already work on my Rubicon.

Travel project

Montreal to Key West (all east coast)
Yellowstone
Moab - Grand Canyon
California to Vancouver and Banff

So what to buy

- recovery kit (jack, etc)
- air compressor
- front bumper with winch
- rear bumper
- Baja Rack
- Fridge
- Better battery ( thinking of dual but not sure if necessary)

I really like the lift look and bigger tire but why change them now.

Probably going to go with a roof tent too but right now my camping equipment will do fine.

Do I miss something really important?

ShadowJKU 03-04-2015 02:23 PM

Congrats on your first jeep purchase. Welcome. Now get ready for the endless cycle of wanting anything and everything.

Roof racks - I'd look into GOBI.

jkdoppler 03-05-2015 12:17 AM

Pretty exciting for the incoming jeep and another exciting for that adventure. Looking forward with your build reports..

TreyJK 03-05-2015 06:14 AM

Congrats!
Are you planning on a lot of wheeling while taking those trips? If you're not going to do any real challenging stuff, it may be better to keep the rubi relatively stock as far as tires and lift goes, just for better mileage. But I've also driven mine from Colorado to Florida, lifted with 35's, and it averages about 16-17 mpg. And you can really wheel it if you ever come across a cool area.

Rob 12B1P 03-05-2015 08:48 AM

Tire repair kit. Shovel or E-Tool. If your gonna add a bunch of weight (bumpers/winch) to it you might want to add a puck leveling kit just to compensate for the added weight.

krazybird 03-05-2015 12:36 PM

Yeah after adding bumper I was thinking of a 2" lift kit like the AEV one if the weight cause me trouble.

Thx

krazybird 03-24-2015 01:21 PM

Gonna have my first Jeep this Thursday! Can't wait :)

westchester 03-25-2015 03:01 AM

Highly recommend Dual batteries to use with the fridge, and the winch, and extra lights you'll probably add later.

Look at the rear trunk trays to use with a fridge. The trays double the cargo usage.

If your sticking to stock small tires, under-carriage skid plates will be even more needed.

krazybird 03-27-2015 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the tree hehe, didn't had time for a photoshoot. :)

Attachment 603539

redridge 03-28-2015 04:22 AM

very nice! yeah, i would drive stocck for awwhile and get to know how she does. Youll eventuaally know what youll need. im sure the gate table will be on the list.