Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Canvas' New Shoes, Yokohama Geolander G003 M/T

Old 07-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Canvas' New Shoes, Yokohama Geolander G003 M/T

I have failed to post up about the Yokohama Geolaner G003 M/T's. I recieved 5 37x12.5x17 the beginning of June while I was on travel for work. Upon arriving back in Texas the task of breaking down my old tires and building up the new Geolander's. I will say the whole process of building up new tires on ATX Slab beadlocks is not a fun time especailly when the bolts rusted in the inserts. Once I had the wheels broken down and prior to building them up I replaced some inserts that backed out of the wheel and then chased the treads of the remaining with a tap to clean the threads. Once this was complete the mounting of the tires began. I will say that the Geolander's did fit rather tight aroun the outter bead, so much so I had to use mororcycle tire spoons to get the bead to seat. If you have bead locks and build your own tires, I highly recommend getting a set of motor Cycle tire spoons, because they do not scratch the rim like screwdrivers can. Be sure to rorque the rock ring bolts to manufaturer specifications.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yoko.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	580.0 KB
ID:	673020

Name:	Yoko1.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	768.5 KB
ID:	673019

Name:	Yoko4.jpg
Views:	1426
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	673021

Now back to the Geolanders. Once they were on the Jeep I must say that they are impressive. Prior to mounting the wheel and tire on the Jeep I stripped off all the balance weights thinking that I would have to get them balanced anyway. The initial test drive and 600 plus miles later there is still no shimmy in the steering wheel. The road noise in minimal even with the large lugs they have. In a couple of weeks I will participate the Yokohama, Climb the Falls at Hidden Falls Adventure Park, Marble Falls, TX. I will update this thread with my impression of these tires offroad. As for now I really like how the Yokohama, Geolander G003 M/T's handle on the road.

Name:	Yoko5.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	673022

R/
Will
Old 07-06-2017, 03:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome!! I look forward to your review...
Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant wait to see them in person!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is a follow up on the tires.

This past weekend I attended an event at Hidden Falls Adventure Park, in Hidden Falls, TX.

My first thoughts on the Geolander was this could be an aggressive tire with a lot of road noise. However after driving 200 miles from Fort Worth to Marble Falls, TX there was very little road noise even comparable to the Nitto Trail Grappler. Then after taking them off road and putting them through the paces on various terrain I was affraid the Geolanders were going to chunk really bad, in fact they did not chunk as all.

This was the first time using the new Yokohama Geolander MT G003 offroad. I was a bit skeptical since they are a new tire and whether they were going to perform as well as the Nitto Trail Grappler. I can say that beyond a shadow of doubt the Yokohama Geolander is a great tire and sutible replacement for the Nitto Trail Grappler. The tires hooked up nicely on the rocks and loose dirt in Central Texas. The tires hooked up so well I only had to use the front locker once.

One trail we did was called TRO, one that I had previously run on my Trail Grapplers, and was able to work my way through with out using any lockers (note the creek was dry). The entrance to TRO is a waterfall crawl that last time required the use of lockers, not today. TRO is mainly a creek bed with large rocks. Entrance to the main trail after the gate keeper involved dropping into a mud hole and working through some larger rocks. The Geolanders hooked up nicely even covered in mud. Once past the first obstacle the trail wanders up with various sizes of rocks to go over. On the way out there is a side hill off camber climb out that was taken with ease. The Geolanders performed really well. I will post up a couple of video's once they are edited.

All in all I would highly recommend the new Yokohama Geolander MT G003 tires.

R/
Will

Quick Reply: Canvas' New Shoes, Yokohama Geolander G003 M/T