Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

CRD Rucon diesel build

Old 04-12-2018, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRD Rucon diesel build

Hi all,

took the plunge a week ago and upgraded to a JK from an XJ which had had a lot of electrical hickups the past few years making it not so fit for overland use. Will hurt to let the XJ go as I've had it for 15 years and did a lot of time wrenching on it. We'll see, might be I keep it.

Been searching high and low and finally found a 2015 Rubicon with the 2.8 diesel. Fuel prices being what they are over here the diesel will save me quite a lot of green and diesels are really well suited for off road after all.

The plan is to build this into a capable overland rig. 2.5” lift, 35s, rack for RFT, storage with fridge, bumpers, armor and recovery.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

So, first mod started. Namely skid plates.

The CRD isn't compatible with skids for the regular JKUon account of different engine mounts and cross member position. Turned out a bit tricky to find a proper skid plate system since most manufacturers cater to the gasoline world.

Rescue came in the form of Rival Off Road who are mainly active in the ATV/UTV skid business. Actually these turned out to be a variation of Quadratecs aluminium skid system. These guys were extremely helpful and also gave me quite a discount.
JEEP Wrangler (JK) ab Bj.: 2012- | Jeep | 4x4 / SUV | RIVAL Offroad

Quality strikes me as good though it remains to be seen how the aluminium reacts to close encounters with terra forma. Can't be any worse than the original skids which were pretty beat up after a single outing off road. 6mm is a decent amount of material

Steering, engine and transfer case skids we're a breeze to install. Too about three hours solo much thanks to the plates being so light. Didn't encounter any fitment issues at all. And boy do I appreciate wrenching on a new rig where the bolts aren't hopelessly rusted stuck!

The gas tank skid will probably be easy but the gas tank one got me a bit perplexed. Need to find a way to support the tank while still being able to slide the skid in. Ratchet straps are my hottest bet at the moment.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Onto building plans!

The selection of easily available parts here in Sweden is a far cry from the US. There are a few online retailers but these typically has a very narrow selection of brands. If you want something very specific it has to be ordered from the States which comes with huge shipping costs.

Anyway, here goes the build sheet!
  • Metalcloak Game-Changer 2.5” with Rocksport shocks
  • Cooper ST Maxx POR 35”
  • Ultra 164 15x8 3.75” wheels (would have preferred a higher bakspacing but can't find it locally)
  • Rough Country Hybrid stubby bumper
  • Rough Country full width rear bumper
  • Warn VR-10 winch
  • Rival full skid system
  • Yet to be determined slider with step
  • Metalcloak Sportgate tire carrier
  • Rhino-rack Backbone 3-bar system
  • ARB High Output Compressor (was hoping to find space for this in the engine bay but not sure that will work.)
  • Fridge, drawers and doggy living quarters in the trunk.
Everythingis ordered so now it's just a question of how fast things turns up and then making time to install stuff.

I'm a restless kind of guy so we'll see what other bits and pieces I can come up with.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

After owning the JK for a couple of weeks I got to say I miss the Cherokee. A newer vehicle is a newer vehicle but the XJ truly was a brilliant design.

The stock suspension on the JK sucks. High speed on washboard roads is just a no go. To be fair the XJ didn't do well either prior to OME springs and Bilsteins but 20 years of R&D come on! Same thing goes for gas mileage, what's up with having the same or worse gas mileage in vehicles designed a couple of decades apart?

Ok, feels good to have that out of the system. Minor gripes include the XJ being a lot more manoeuvrable, easier to see where the body ends. Jeep seats still are too soft. I miss the feel and above all sound of the 4.0.

To be fair the Rubicon truly is a brilliant design. Lockers, Dana 44 front end for piece of mind, Rock-trac, not a shit load of floor board rust to deal with, classic looks, proper back seat for kids and endless modding possibilities! And many of the shortcoming will be modded away.

The 2.8 diesel is growing on me as well. The sound it makes isn't very sexy and it's not fast but boy does it have torque! Part of the bad gas mileage I suspect is on account of the gearing of axles and 5 speed auto. +60mph or so really brings it out of the ideal power band. Will be interesting to see what happens when I put 35s on her.

Last edited by D the Swede; 04-15-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:31 AM
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So cool how everything is different in the engine bay!
Old 05-05-2018, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Official_EAG
So cool how everything is different in the engine bay!
I know!
Funny thing is that it really is crammed compared to the Pentastar even though it's just a four pot.
Much thanks to that enormous fan shroud.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Moving on with the upgrades I've installed an RC Hybrid stubby with Warn winch and the Metalcloak Sportgate.

The RC bumper came together without much ado.
The only thing I had to relocate was the horn.

Looking a bit like the Frankensteins monster with the skinny wheels and exaggerated rake.
The CRD had more rake to begin with I guess on account of the heavier engine and Jeep using the same springs as for the gas version.

The Sportgate also was a super easy install.
In anticipation of 35s and lift!
Old 05-13-2018, 10:46 PM
JK Newbie

And finally got the Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" lift in place.
Can't believe how much of a difference the lift and 35s did for the overall appearance.

Installing the kit took about 2 full days and to say the least I was extremely impressed with Metalcloak's parts.
Everything fit nice and snug and even the gold color grew on me after contemplating rattle canning everything black.

Still have some bits and pieces to install.
Namely diff covers, the outboard shock bracket (need to get an angle drill attachment) plus chopping the rubi rails.
After that I'm heading for the woods on Saturday!
Old 05-31-2018, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Nice! I was also thinking about changing the factory bumper on my Rubicon. Is this still okay when you have to go to Bilprovningen?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Very nice rig!

Quick Reply: CRD Rucon diesel build