Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

My Overland Project, the RME JKU

Old 01-14-2017, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last time I had the Jeep out my stock front driveshaft failed after some trail damage, I ended up having to drive out of a steep, snow-covered canyon in 2WD and was lucky to make it out. I decided it was time for an upgrade and I knew that I wanted the best possible parts, so I called up the guys at Tom Wood's Driveshafts in Ogden, Utah. I gave them the dimensions and they were very helpful with information and options. I ended up with a Jeep JK front driveshaft with 1310 u-joints as well as a replacement flange for the front pinion and new yoke at the t-case, as well as all new hardware, a package of LockTite and very detailed instructions. Tom knows driveshafts very well and he has come up with the strongest possible option for the JK.

The install was pretty straight forward, took about an hour to get it in and tested on the snowy Colorado roads! In 4WD the Jeep was nice and smooth, no vibrations and peace of mind knowing I now have a beefy, upgraded Tom Wood's front driveshaft!

Old 06-12-2017, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's been a few months and there have been some changes! Time to update the build thread. The biggest change was upgrading the shocks, I picked up a set of Falcon 2.1 mono-shocks and the Nexus EF steering stabilizer.

My experience and opinion is well documented in the TeraFlex Falcon Shock thread. I'll go ahead and copy what I said here...

So the very first thing we noticed was the new handling characteristics on the freeway... between the Nexus steering stabilizer and the Falcon shocks, the entire Jeep felt much more planted at freeway speeds. Hitting a big rolling bump on the freeway, which before would toss & rock the Jeep around, now made the Jeep react composed and stable. The suspension would compress and then decompress and the Jeep would recover with hardly any drama. Within the first 10 miles my wife in the passenger seat mentioned how different the Wrangler now rode. On I70, heading towards Moab in Utah the speed limit is 80 MPH... previously, my JK rode OK but at speeds over 72-73 (actual speed) the Jeep was a little 'wobbly'. Now with the Falcon shocks and Nexus stabilizer, the Jeep was absolutely planted at up to 85 MPH! Driving over bridges and expansion joints before would create a little wobble in the steering wheel and with the Nexus steering stabilizer, the steering wheel is totally firm.... it doesn't show any indication of upsetting the Jeep. We do a lot of on-road driving to get to destinations, from driving out to the Rubicon last Summer to our trip down to Baja and back, having a Jeep that handles well on the road is very important to me. I still need to put some longer road miles on, but I think long drives will be less stressful due to the way the JKU now drives. This is how a lifted Jeep should ride!

Offroad the result is similar, when you hit a big rock or drop off a ledge the suspension does it's thing and the Falcon shocks control the body sway and unwanted movement with little drama. The suspension reacts and the Falcons control the suspension better than any lesser shocks. You don't get that rocking & rolling that sometimes happens offroad. At a few different places in Moab, we were able to shift into 2 High and get some speed up and the control that the Falcons added to an already good suspension was now impressive... I could drive a lot faster than I should! :freak: It wasn't really warm out, but after a little high-speed driving the shocks seemed very liner with their performance. No changes after trying to get them heated up. I still need to do further high-speed driving to get a better feel for their performance at speed.

One of the things I love about the Nexus stabilizer is how it works with the stock (or upgraded) tie rod, but now is relocated above the axle centerline and behind the tie rod, out of harms way. I've destroyed 2 steering stabilizers in the last couple years in the stock location and feel like the raised Nexus will be very well protected. Also, combining the axle end mount of the Nexus stabilizer with the track bar mount/bolt is genius as well, great use of a big bolt hole!

To wrap it all up, I think the Falcon shocks and Nexus steering stabilizer are nothing short of damn impressive. I doubt there is a better JK shock & stabilizer out there, bolt a set on your JK/JKU and you'll instantly see the difference in how your Wrangler works on road and off.
And my tech, install & on-trail review video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VPdwOiDCSs
Next up, I picked up a set of body-colored White JK fender flares that were new take-off's. I scored them from John Williams at Impulse Offroad in West Valley, Utah. John has helped me out with parts many times on this build and it's always fun to see what else he is working on. He has a massive network of businesses and can get you almost anything for your build. The removal of the black flares and install of the white ones wasn't too hard, the clips are a bit of a PITA. I think the end result was well worth it, I love how the body-colored flares look!

Lastly, I picked up an ARB Awning (2000 x 2500) from Kurt Williams at Cruiser Outfitters. Kurt and his crew are another great source for quality parts, very knowledgeable and helpful. We talked about what I was looking for, the dimensions of my roof rack and settled on the perfect size.

So here's how it all came together! I drove the JKU to Overland Expo West 2017 in Flagstaff and stopped in Valley of the Gods for the night. The weather was perfect, so I camped out under the ARB Awning and it was simply amazing!

Old 06-13-2017, 11:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an awesome build thread to follow. Love how the Jeep is turned out so far!

My goal is to eventually be very similar but with 37s. I'm pretty much done except for roof rack, driveshafts and control arms. I don't like the idea of welding on control arms, Australian law can be icky with those kind of modifications, any suggestions on a bolt on solution?
Old 06-14-2017, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AaronW
What an awesome build thread to follow. Love how the Jeep is turned out so far!

My goal is to eventually be very similar but with 37s. I'm pretty much done except for roof rack, driveshafts and control arms. I don't like the idea of welding on control arms, Australian law can be icky with those kind of modifications, any suggestions on a bolt on solution?

Appreciate the comments, this hasn't been the most extreme build but it has turned into the perfect Jeep for me and my needs. There isn't much else but I plan to change with this Jeep, other than regearing to 4.56's.

I've heard good things about up the Teraflex Alpine stock length control arms, have a friend that is running them and he has been very happy. No welding required to install them, but you can adjust your caster and pinion angle, plus they have heavy duty rubber bushings in both ends so your on-road ride is quiet.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Greg@RME
Appreciate the comments, this hasn't been the most extreme build but it has turned into the perfect Jeep for me and my needs. There isn't much else but I plan to change with this Jeep, other than regearing to 4.56's.

I've heard good things about up the Teraflex Alpine stock length control arms, have a friend that is running them and he has been very happy. No welding required to install them, but you can adjust your caster and pinion angle, plus they have heavy duty rubber bushings in both ends so your on-road ride is quiet.
Not gonna lie your rig is extreme compared to Australian standards! haha

And cheers, those look the goods!!
Old 06-15-2017, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not gonna lie your rig is extreme compared to Australian standards! haha

And cheers, those look the goods!!
Hahaaa.... in the States, this is a mild street Jeep! 37's seem to be the norm for JKU's, 40's and coilovers if you're hardcore!

And thanks!
Old 06-15-2017, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Greg@RME
Hahaaa.... in the States, this is a mild street Jeep! 37's seem to be the norm for JKU's, 40's and coilovers if you're hardcore!

And thanks!
In Aus 35s are generally considered extreme. Admittedly I do now run 37s... lol
We're slowly starting to get bigger and bigger Jeeps around here though! Seen 2 or 3 on 40s
Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

In Aus 35s are generally considered extreme. Admittedly I do now run 37s... lol
We're slowly starting to get bigger and bigger Jeeps around here though! Seen 2 or 3 on 40s
How funny... AU has always interested me, seems like most people building their 4x4's for LONG overland trips into the Outback. I could see how 37's aren't as popular for most people.... but they sure make the big rocks a little smaller!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome build!
Nice pictures

Cheers
Old 08-09-2017, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adakar
Awesome build!
Nice pictures