Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

My Overland Project, the RME JKU

Old 12-06-2015, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice build!

Your Rubicon is really a nice build. I like the rack on the roof. What is it or is it hand made?
Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gear junkie
Your Rubicon is really a nice build. I like the rack on the roof. What is it or is it hand made?
Thanks!

The roof rack is from Front Runner Outfitters, the Slimline II. It's one of my favorite pieces! Makes up for the lack of interior room in the Jeep. It's pretty light, using aluminum construction and of course it'll never rust. The way the slats in the rack are built it makes it easy to tie down anything and add accessories. I love how clean it looks, how it's a full length rack and doesn't have unsightly tubes hanging down the side of the Jeep. It's also very strong as it ties into the roll bar in 4 places plus the beefy windshield mounts, will haul whatever I'll ever need, that's for sure. - Jeep Wrangler JK Roof Rack: Front Runner Slimline II Kit

Last edited by Greg@RME; 12-06-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Your overland build is beautiful. Im working on an overland project myself and was curious what made you go with the Front Runner Rack over the Gobi? Those seem to be most popular options for overland with the Jeep
Old 12-08-2015, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peytoven
Your overland build is beautiful. Im working on an overland project myself and was curious what made you go with the Front Runner Rack over the Gobi? Those seem to be most popular options for overland with the Jeep
Appreciate the comment!

I don't care for the round tube look of a roof rack, especially the tubes running down the sides of the Jeep. It makes the roof rack look like an afterthought IMO. On top of that, I had a round tube roof rack on another 4x4 and it created a lot of wind noise and whistling. The construction of the Slimline II makes for little wind noise. Also, the Gobi is steel tubing and even the best powder coating won't last very long without starting to rust.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Greg@RME
Appreciate the comment!

I don't care for the round tube look of a roof rack, especially the tubes running down the sides of the Jeep. It makes the roof rack look like an afterthought IMO. On top of that, I had a round tube roof rack on another 4x4 and it created a lot of wind noise and whistling. The construction of the Slimline II makes for little wind noise. Also, the Gobi is steel tubing and even the best powder coating won't last very long without starting to rust.

Gotcha. You may have just convinced me to go with the Front Runner haha, I have been debating them for awhile now. Any plans for a roof tent?
Old 12-09-2015, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peytoven
Gotcha. You may have just convinced me to go with the Front Runner haha, I have been debating them for awhile now. Any plans for a roof tent?
The Front Runner Slimline II is a great rack, I think you'll be very happy with it!

I'm not going to run a RTT, I've had 2 different ones in the past and at this point I think the con's outweigh the pro's. I'm now using a high quality ground tent and happy to be sleeping on the ground again.

Last edited by Greg@RME; 12-10-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:17 PM
JK Junkie

Really enjoyed your writer up on your project. It is cool that you know the history of your jeep prior to you.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red2010rubi
Really enjoyed your writer up on your project. It is cool that you know the history of your jeep prior to you.
Appreciate it! Yeah, it's very good to know.... but a little scary at the same time!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

really sweet setup. White JKs with black wheels are really starting to grow on me! This is a similar build that I want to eventually do.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Never Late
really sweet setup. White JKs with black wheels are really starting to grow on me! This is a similar build that I want to eventually do.
Thank you! I'm a black wheel kinda guy... and I like white vehicles, so this combo was bound to happen.

Quick Reply: My Overland Project, the RME JKU