JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Garage - Member Builds (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-garage-member-builds-211/)
-   -   Power hoist a top - HELP (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-garage-member-builds-211/power-hoist-top-help-344661/)

Agchik05 12-27-2017 04:16 AM

Power hoist a top - HELP

Hi!! I am having a hell of a time getting my power hoist a top installed does anyone have any experience installing these?

resharp001 12-27-2017 04:36 AM

Is it the Lange model? I don't have that myself, but looking over the instructions and install video on their site, it seems straight forward. What specifically are you having an issue with?

Agchik05 12-27-2017 01:10 PM

I’m not sure about the placement of the winch. If I mount the winch on the ceiling, its perpendicular To the garage door, not parallel to it. Is that ok? Or will the weight be thrown off? Yes it’s the power hoist a top by Lange Originals.

bbolander 12-27-2017 01:46 PM

It won't matter whether the winch is perpendicular or parallel to the garage door, it still just picks up at one point. But I'd mount the winch on the wall and then run the cable through a pulley, then the pickup hook and then to a 2nd eyebolt in the ceiling. It's helpful to do this and reduce the lifting speed by 1/2.

Agchik05 12-27-2017 02:04 PM

If I mount on the wall, is it ok if the pulley and 2nd eye bolt are on the same stud? The video says to put them on separate studs, but the location of where the wall mount would be would mean there would be a right angle between the pulley and the eye bolt.

bbolander 12-27-2017 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Agchik05 (Post 4310809)
If I mount on the wall, is it ok if the pulley and 2nd eye bolt are on the same stud? The video says to put them on separate studs, but the location of where the wall mount would be would mean there would be a right angle between the pulley and the eye bolt.

The video says next ceiling stud (joist) since their ceiling joists are a 90 degree angle to the cable direction. If the ceiling joists are in the same direction as the cable both can be put on the same joist.

Agchik05 12-27-2017 04:13 PM

Oh, ok. That makes sense!! So the top will be hanging between the pulley and the eye bolt?

Da20captain 12-28-2017 04:48 AM

I have a sort of cobbled together electric hoist. But prob very similar to what you have. What I did was go to Tractor Supply and got an 8’ piece of barn door track and the barn door wheels that would normally hang a door from. Attach the hoist to the wheels and that will offer a little movement in the hoist.

Agchik05 02-02-2018 03:47 AM

Thank you!!!!!!

resharp001 02-02-2018 07:34 AM

:thumbsup: So nice to have a lift. My top is on/off in minutes when need be. Now you can ride around as it was intended.....top off. :ya: