Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Old 10-03-2017, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey All,

The slog across The DRC has started in earnest!
After writing an entry date in my own passport with a pen, I am finally legal in the country!
The walking trail got interesting in a few places, and I just about tore one of the fenders right off.

Read more here: Across The DRC Day 1 | The Road Chose Me

The scenery here in the DRC is absolutely stunning - completely unexpected!

Also, I finally found the "highway" that runs East/West across the country, more-or-less following the mighty Congo River.
I am heading East, aiming for a ferry to make the crossing.

Read more here: Across The DRC Day 2 | The Road Chose Me

The DRC is like nowhere I have ever been before!

-Dan
Old 10-09-2017, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey All,

The DRC continues to impress and continues to be a mud slog!

I arrive in the extremely famous Luozi looking to cross the ferry, though not before the nastiest "warlord" Policeman of the journey has his say!

Read that story here: Across The DRC Day 3 ? Luozi | The Road Chose Me

After finally getting away from him, I make my way to the mighty Congo river, and cross on the most ramshackle ferry of my life!
This is the kind of adventure I will never forget as long as I live.

Read more and more photos of the crossing here: Across The DRC Day 3 ? Luozi Ferry across the Congo River | The Road Chose Me

Of course, the mud continues on the other side!

-Dan
Old 10-16-2017, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey All,

The slog across the DRC continued, with - of course - more mud.

The starter was broken on this truck, and we tried the winch. It didn't stand a chance, so we couldn't help.
The guys were extremely thankful, and resumed waiting in the shade of a tree.

These are the kind of villages near the road:

Full story here: Across The DRC Day 4 | The Road Chose Me

And after a solid bribery attempt and and stand off, I reach the border of Angola.
Mad Max was close, but got something seriously wrong. The amount of trash on the ground. Imagine it at least 2 feet deep, absolutely everywhere you can see.
Hundreds of people streaming across the border, scorching heat and humidity.
To top it all off, a guy walked right past with a full-sized fridge on his head!

More on the crossing here: Into Angola | The Road Chose Me

The DRC has been an adventure I will never forget, now it's time for Angola!

-Dan
Old 10-28-2017, 12:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey All,

I am absolutely loving Angola so far.
After the mud slog through the DRC, I was absolutely ready for some beach-n-chill time. So I did exactly that.

Read how the border crossing into Angola finished up: Angola Awaits | The Road Chose Me

I moved towards Luanda, and found a great wildcamp right above this amazing shipwreck beach:

Read more here: Shipwreck Beach | The Road Chose Me

Luanda is up next!

-Dan
Old 10-29-2017, 05:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, Dan, we're enjoying the heck out of your adventure!

Tell us how the tires are doing. I'm running 255/80/17 BF Goodrich KM2s on my JK, and they've been incredible. However, I'm looking at the 34/10.5/17 KO2, which is what I believe you are running, for a little softer ride (C range as opposed to E on the KM2) and a little less noise. What I'm concerned about is losing off-road capability, including sidewall strength. You've been through sand, mud, gravel, rocks, and just about everything but snow. So, I'd love to hear how those tires are holding up to the stress.

Keep the great photos, videos, and stories coming! I check every day to see what's new. Stay safe!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
Wow, Dan, we're enjoying the heck out of your adventure!

Tell us how the tires are doing. I'm running 255/80/17 BF Goodrich KM2s on my JK, and they've been incredible. However, I'm looking at the 34/10.5/17 KO2, which is what I believe you are running, for a little softer ride (C range as opposed to E on the KM2) and a little less noise. What I'm concerned about is losing off-road capability, including sidewall strength. You've been through sand, mud, gravel, rocks, and just about everything but snow. So, I'd love to hear how those tires are holding up to the stress.

Keep the great photos, videos, and stories coming! I check every day to see what's new. Stay safe!
The tires have been fantastic.
They are MUCH quieter than the KM2s I took off (first thing I noticed) and drive extremely smoothly - no wandering, etc even at 70mph (not that I have been that fast in a LONG time!)

I did even catch some snow/slush before I left North America, and they handled it perfectly.
Even in the thick mud I don't feel they have ever let me down, and I highly, highly recommend them.

They are wearing well, now I have done close to 30k miles and I would guess they are something like half life, roughly. My JK is heavy, and lots of that has been on gravel and extremely, extremely hot conditions.

In short, I will be getting another set!

-Dan
Old 10-30-2017, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know everyone worries about bribery a lot when driving through the undeveloped world.

Finally, I caught it on camera!

Grab some popcorn and watch the reality of Bribery in Nigeria, the most notorious of all.
This exactly mirrors my experiences from Alaska to Argentina and now on the West Coast of Africa - well over 200 bribery attempts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RTlDa2cg0o
-Dan
Old 10-30-2017, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I went on a hunting trip to South Africa a few years ago and had a very interesting near bribery experience.

We had to check our firearms through a police office at the airport in Johannesburg. There was a HUGE sign on the wall that said the police should not ask you for money and if they do, to call a corruption hotline, with the number posted right there in large letters. It had no effect on the police, as they pretty quickly said there was a problem with one of our rifles, but they would not specify what it was other than they didn't like the fact we had two rifles (one for each of us) that were the same caliber.

We had hired a person, recommended by our outfitter, to guide us smoothly through the police station and get us on the road to the camp. She was to cost us $100.

She talked to the police and made us wait, and wait, and wait. After about 1 hour, she came back and told us they wanted $100 for a "processing fee." I pointed to the sign that clearly said they should not ask for money. She, in a roundabout way, explained that it was a bribe and that it was necessary to move us through. I told her that whatever we paid them would come out of her fees. I told her that I didn't see any benefit to hiring her if I was going to have to shell out to the police, so I told her she had 5 minutes to get us through there, or I'd go give them her $100 and get it done myself. She came back a minute later and said we were good to go, and she wanted her payment. I told her I'd pay her when we were loaded into our vans, guns and all, at the curbside pickup, which is exactly the way I did it.

While we waited earlier, the police pretended to closely examine the guns. These "experts" looked down the barrels of both guns, from the business end! They then swept us and the 10 or so other people in the room with the barrels, at least 5 times. They wound up knocking the lady we hired in the head with a barrel, giving her a very bloody gash. I think she ultimately got us through by threatening to file a complaint over them injuring her. Their conversation appeared quite heated before they gave in and let us go.

I thought about calling that hotline....after we were safely back on US soil, but I never got around to it. I probably should have done it, just to give those guys a pain in the butt for their criminal efforts.

Last edited by dmwil; 10-30-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Everyone,

I am touring Angola and loving every second.

I spent some time in the capital of Luanda, visiting the War history museum and camping with a million dollar view on the waterfront for free!

More: Luanda | The Road Chose Me

I camped out at Piedras Negras (black Rocks) then visited the extremely impressive Kalandula Falls

More: Piedras Negras | The Road Chose Me
and
Kalandula Falls | The Road Chose Me

Now I'm out exploring around, with not particular goal in mind.
Evidence of the civil war is everywhere, including this Russian tank that dwarfed the Jeep.

More: Amazing Angola Pt. 1 | The Road Chose Me

I really love Angola, and already think I will extend my visa.

-Dan
Old 11-17-2017, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

I am just getting over a second round of Malaria, which has been much, much worse than the first time.

I wrote about it so others can understand and learn what it's actually like to get Malaria while on the road.

Full story here: Malaria Round Two | The Road Chose Me

Yep, needles were involved

-Dan

Quick Reply: Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me