Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Old 03-04-2019, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Awesome amazing journey, wish that I could someday do a fraction of what you have experienced!
Old 03-25-2019, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi All,

I drove back over the horrendous road and into Ethiopia, and after driving the Jeep to over 14,080 ft. in the Simien Mountains in Ethiopia, I was happy to make it out of that country safely and without incident.

In all my expeditions around the world, Ethiopia is the only country I have ever felt unsafe in, and certainly very unwelcome.
It's a beautiful place, but it has some serious problems right now. Unfortunately I feel like I can't recommend a visit, which is really sad.

You can read about the mountains here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-1
and here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-2

And now I have driven into African country number 34, Sudan!

The border was time consuming, but more-or-less what I have come to accept as normal. Dropping out of the mountains the temperature skyrocketed well over 110F.
Border crossing story here: Ethiopia Ends / Into Sudan | The Road Chose Me

For the first night I just wild camped off the road. Everyone says it's insanely safe here, and I have felt welcome right from the get-go.

Now in Sudan, I just paid $0.35/gal for gas - easily the cheapest I have ever paid on the continent, and in my life. It's nice to get a whole tank for $7 !

People here are insanely friendly, and now I'm looking forward to wild camping out in the desert!

Full story about what Sudan feels like here: To Khartoum | The Road Chose Me

I can't believe I only have one more border to cross. After almost three years on the road it's going to be very surreal to "finish".

-Dan
Old 03-25-2019, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just watched your latest YouTube video, and was hoping to be able to come here to see the results from the tippy times.... I'm tremendously happy to hear that its all worked out. Watching your trip has been a great experience and I can't want to see what's next!
Old 04-15-2019, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

I have driven the length of Sudan, exploring the desert and wild camping every single night.

Tons more photos on my website.

Now after crossing the most expensive, complicated and convoluted border of my life, I have driven into Egypt. The 35th and final African country on this expedition!

All the details on the border crossing and madness here: Into Egypt | The Road Chose Me

I'm loving this place already!

-Dan
Old 04-17-2019, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

This is really amazing!
Old 04-28-2019, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi All,

After almost three years, 35 countries and over 53,000 miles, I have driven right around Africa, and arrived at the Giza Pyramids in Egypt!

I am absolutely ecstatic!!

Read the full story: Cairo and the Pyramids of Giza | The Road Chose Me

Now only the final hurdle remains - shipping the Jeep out of Egypt!

-Dan
The following users liked this post:
kbarwall (05-06-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Congratulations! That's very amazing!
Old 05-08-2019, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

After the most insane paperwork run-around and bureaucracy of my life, I managed to drive the Jeep into a 20 foot shipping container and seal the door.

Immediately I felt like I was separated from a good friend, a really strange feeling.

After 999 days, I hopped on a plane, and the Jeep is crossing the mighty North Atlantic.

You can read about the insanity here: Africa Ends | The Road Chose Me

I'm still in disbelief that it's over.

More updates to come, including tons of info on costs, what I would do differently, how the Jeep performed, etc. etc.

-Dan
Old 05-08-2019, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This is impressive.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hil All,

The Jeep has arrived in North America, and now I'm on a mission.

I'm presenting, showing the Jeep and speaking on panels at Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ next weekend (17th, 18th, 19th May).

I will also be at many other Overland/4x4 shows over the summer, the full list is here: Touring Overland Shows in 2019 | The Road Chose Me

Let me know if there is a show you think I should go to that isn't on the list currently.

Also, after months of work (It started back in Nairobi, Kenya), I have published my coffee table photography book of Africa!

With 77 full color pages containing a double-page spread on every country, info on the Jeep, the expedition and some fun numbers and quirks too. Each country is a blend of people, landscapes, wildlife and daily life – the parts of Africa that I will never forget.

The Jeep and I make the odd appearance too.

It's available now on Amazon!: https://amzn.to/2H93IUH

-Dan

Quick Reply: Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me