Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

WTO Redneck Ram Install

Old 05-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I've had a run in with those low misalignment boots. Ugh. So your concern is basically just keeping the joint clean, and not so much the strength of the Synergy TR from the sounds of it. Seems like I've seen other posts mentioning that the Synergy TR is apt to bend once you start adding hydro, but then others say it's fine. Maybe it's one of those things that it's fine.....right up until it's a problem. LOL. Kinda stinks thinking about having to buy a new TR just to add hydro.
Yeah. For me it's been the grease issue. As the post above implies. Perhaps it's how parallel the ram is to the tie rod. I have mine very parallel measured in two different planes so I pretty sure it pushes in a parallel line to the tie rod.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been 6-months and a couple runs...still very happy with mine!
Old 07-09-2019, 07:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

6 years in to my jeep, and 3 years after this thread, I'm FINALLY getting a RNR ordered. Dang it's a long road. I'm still sporting a Synergy TR with low misalignment boots, so I guess I'm just going to hope it holds up to hydro.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

6 years in to my jeep, and 3 years after this thread, I'm FINALLY getting a RNR ordered. Dang it's a long road. I'm still sporting a Synergy TR with low misalignment boots, so I guess I'm just going to hope it holds up to hydro.
I've been on the fence for a long time about hydro. Thinking I might try to jump on it later in the year, need to get my gear box rebuilt eventually anyway, it has a lot of slop.

I'm running the Synergy TR with misalignment boots as well, that's the only thing I'm nervous about, PSC uses a clamp (that I already own, others weld on the TR, others say not to, and that welding on the TR messes up its heat treating, idk). I have a buddy who installed a RNR on his JK on tons, so I have good advice readily available when I go to install. He is a big advocate for the RNR.

Good luck with the install. Let me know what you think!
Old 07-11-2019, 07:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by tjkamp
I'm running the Synergy TR with misalignment boots as well, that's the only thing I'm nervous about, PSC uses a clamp (that I already own, others weld on the TR, others say not to, and that welding on the TR messes up its heat treating, idk). I have a buddy who installed a RNR on his JK on tons, so I have good advice readily available when I go to install. He is a big advocate for the RNR.
I have a friend that installed RNR few years ago. When he did it, he had same Synergy TR and boots. He beats on his jeep pretty hard. He eventually moved to UD60s so there was a TR change in that process, but again, tabs welded right on to the TR. He's had no issues. Used factory steering pump up until this last year when he blew it hotdoggin' round (he has a RIPP as well and just burns around all the time). I do tend to think the real trick is 1) getting that cylinder installed in proper alignment with the TR, but also 2) still using your head and not doing stupid crap ya know. I need to measure my steering, give em a call, and get one ordered up. My only concern is length of hose. I get more droop up front than most, so guess going to talk to them and error on the side of a little longer than normal. We shall see.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a friend that installed RNR few years ago. When he did it, he had same Synergy TR and boots. He beats on his jeep pretty hard. He eventually moved to UD60s so there was a TR change in that process, but again, tabs welded right on to the TR. He's had no issues. Used factory steering pump up until this last year when he blew it hotdoggin' round (he has a RIPP as well and just burns around all the time). I do tend to think the real trick is 1) getting that cylinder installed in proper alignment with the TR, but also 2) still using your head and not doing stupid crap ya know. I need to measure my steering, give em a call, and get one ordered up. My only concern is length of hose. I get more droop up front than most, so guess going to talk to them and error on the side of a little longer than normal. We shall see.
Good to hear!

I'm pretty timid when it comes to wheeling. I still haven't broken anything out on the trail in 6 years.

I live near/in a tiny town (Yoakum, Tx), our local Napa Auto Parts makes custom length/size high pressure hydraulic lines, we use them at work on all of our equipment including water well drilling rigs and pulling units, capable of pretty intense pressures. It might be something to look into (your local parts stores, not all the way down here, lol!) once you get the cylinder, and know what length of hose you need.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

So, it's official now, got approval from the wife haha!, will be sending my box off to WTO this winter for rebuild and will be fitting up the Red Neck Ram. The build continues.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by tjkamp
So, it's official now, got approval from the wife haha!, will be sending my box off to WTO this winter for rebuild and will be fitting up the Red Neck Ram. The build continues.
I installed one maybe a month ago. Sent me a Delphi box and I sent them back my Chinese paperweight with no questions asked. For the life of me, I could not get the pitman arm off my old box. Called em and told em I was sending it back with the pitman. They said no problem, that's the reason they have a bucket of pitman arms there.

gripe is minor....the holes on the tabs they sent were not big enough for the bolts they sent to hold the ram in place. Had to drill them out larger. Not end of the world, but come on! Not everyone is gonna have a drill press, and what a pain trying to do with a handheld.

Quick Reply: WTO Redneck Ram Install