JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   4Hi help! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/4hi-help-335765/)

TyrannosaurusTess 07-27-2016 12:50 PM

4Hi help!

Hey guys, I tried to put my JKUR into 4Hi just messing around in my back yard the other day and the gear shift would NOT budge. I've only had her for a month so I suppose there might be more than just pulling the knob back? I didn't see anything in the manual about that, though. I had a 2014 JKU sport and all I had to do was pull the shifter back, no buttons, switches or anything I had to press first. Hoping I didn't get a lemon! I tried while moving, stopped, and in neutral.

Greep 07-27-2016 01:09 PM

Shouldn't need to go into neutral unless you're going to 4lo. 4hi is shift on the fly. I'm assuming it's under warranty? Try again and put some force into it. Maybe just new? If something breaks, they'd take care of it.

Machoo 07-27-2016 01:36 PM

It is best to be moving so that the gears match up. So if you were trying to do this while stopped then that is pretty common. Try again while moving if you weren't.

zackjk 07-27-2016 01:37 PM

I always have a little trouble getting mine to shift down into 4wd.. Just gotta put some elbow grease into it. Good luck!

TyrannosaurusTess 07-27-2016 07:36 PM

Thanks everyone! I had a friend give it a try and she was able to get it...I think it just needed to be "broken in." I was able to get it pretty easily on my drive home from work tonight...all is good in the world haha. ✌🏼️

Machoo 07-27-2016 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusTess (Post 4234826)
Thanks everyone! I had a friend give it a try and she was able to get it...I think it just needed to be "broken in." I was able to get it pretty easily on my drive home from work tonight...all is good in the world haha. ✌cdffc️

Just don't do it on pavement and you don't really want to force it either. You can break the little plastic linkage that connects it to the transfer case. It's a fun repair on the trail!

TyrannosaurusTess 07-28-2016 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Machoo (Post 4234846)
Just don't do it on pavement and you don't really want to force it either. You can break the little plastic linkage that connects it to the transfer case. It's a fun repair on the trail!

Good to know!

JkHauler 09-28-2016 06:47 AM

Easiest way to accomplish this would be to be barely rolling forward and in neutral. As stated above 4HI doesn't require neutral position but it doesn't hurt to have it there for odd reasons. Off the lot, the transfer case is pretty tight, so after using it often it should begin to loosen up some and become easier to change on the fly with very little elbow grease. Congrats on your jeep! Have fun and be careful :)

adee1 10-09-2016 05:54 AM

i found it easiest while moving, and I give it a good authoritative pull. Going nice and easy doesn't work as well.

Grand Umpah 10-13-2016 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by adee1 (Post 4250300)
I give it a good authoritative pull. Going nice and easy doesn't work as well.

Somewhat disagree. I've always told my JK friends that you should handle the shifter as if it were a woman's breast; gently. You break those plastic clips on the shifting cable and you're in for a tough fix (especially if you're not carrying spares with you on the trail)