Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Advice on differential Rebuilds

Old 07-05-2017, 02:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on differential Rebuilds

My work has required me to travel quite a bit over the last few months, and I need to start prepping for 35's to be installed by the fall. Currently have a 3" lift on order, as well as both ring and pinion gear rebuild kits.

My question is, for having limited time, is there any harm to come from installing the rear ring/pinion first, and the front at a later date, as I am not generally running 4WD a majority of the time during the summer?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by rchrist
My work has required me to travel quite a bit over the last few months, and I need to start prepping for 35's to be installed by the fall. Currently have a 3" lift on order, as well as both ring and pinion gear rebuild kits.

My question is, for having limited time, is there any harm to come from installing the rear ring/pinion first, and the front at a later date, as I am not generally running 4WD a majority of the time during the summer?
Pull the front drive shaft out and you won't have any issues. Obviously stuck with a 2WD jeep till you regear the front.

I'd note that pulling the shaft would really be a precaution, but I wouldn't risk it. Might accidentally forget and throw it in 4WD....someone else could be in it and fiddle around with the TC shifter. You just never know. Pull the front DS and have peace of mind.

Last edited by resharp001; 07-05-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Pull the front drive shaft out and you won't have any issues. Obviously stuck with a 2WD jeep till you regear the front. I'd note that pulling the shaft would really be a precaution, but I wouldn't risk it. Might accidentally forget and throw it in 4WD....someone else could be in it and fiddle around with the TC shifter. You just never know. Pull the front DS and have peace of mind.
Yep^ this.

When I bought my front 44, it had 4:10 gears while my rear had 4:56. Pulled the front shaft for the exact reasons he mentioned (even though nobody else drives my Jeep...JUST IN CASE I had a brain fart).

Quick Reply: Advice on differential Rebuilds