Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Aftermarket JK D44 : What's best value in complete assemblies?

Old 01-17-2016, 03:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket JK D44 : What's best value in complete assemblies?

I bent my 2014 JK Dana 30 axle back in 2014 when I stupidly entered a local fair contest and jumped my JK Willys, so I replaced that with a locally sourced JK Dana with E-locker, Artec Full Armor truss kit and 4.88 gears. I've been on stock Willys (Rubicon) wheels and tires, but I'm thinking that for 2016, I'd like to move to 35" or 37" tires.

I have the Mopar 2" Stage 2 lift and Teraflex 1.25" body lift, I measure 3.5" higher than a stock Willys at the center of the front fender flare.

So, to the point... sorry. I want to do an upgrade to an aftermarket 44. I wheel greens and blues at Rausch Creek, but plan a long drive (30 hours each way) to Ouray Colorado this summer to enjoy the Jeep roads up there, including Black Bear into Telluride. The last thing I want to do is put bigger rubber under the JK and break a ring gear while 1100 miles from home.

I'm not trying to spend my kids college fund, so what I'm trying to do is find out what the best way to do this is?

I looked into empty housings for around $2000, then I suspect you'll spend another $2000 or more filing them with parts and end up in the ballpark of a complete assembly at the end of the day.

I see some complete front 44 axles with big brake kits, and some without. I see a lot of air lockers, but I'm not interested in that. I want a Detroit or an e-locker.

So... Where is the best value in this mess of options? Not over spending just to say you have the most coveted brand name, but spending the least to get what is needed with the best bang for the buck. I'd be shipping the axle to south western Pa (zip 15005), so possibly shipping costs would dictate that I'm better off driving an hour over to 4WD in Ohio and doing a customer pick up with my buddies pickup truck?

Any advice on who I should call to try to negotiate a better deal? I don't think a big corporate store like 4WD makes deals, but I've seen private shops swing amazing deals in my past. I'm looking at mid March for making my purchase, so educate me please.

Last edited by larry0071; 01-18-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Rubi with stock 4.11's, just trussed only my C's and heavy 37's Toyo Mt's

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3462311295.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	626.4 KB
ID:	634768

on my stock Rubi 44. I drove from Dallas to Telluride with family of five. Did every trail with no problem. They are mostly just shelf roads with sharp switchbacks. We then drove to Moab and dos some moderate trails and drove back to Dallas. We had zero issues.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

That's awesome. I was thinking that the trails out that way looked really mild, more like diet roads with ruts and rock. But I do still want to pay at Rausch Creek and get more into the Blues and beyond. My JK is my summer DD as well, I do have my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk for winter salt driving, but I prefer to just toss the Cherokee into the back yard for the summer and enjoy life in my Willys all summer while doing the top off, does off and all that jazz. The JK experience is amazing! Addicting! I can't wait for sorting reasons to wash the salt away so I can get my big Willy out again!
Old 01-18-2016, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Does anyone have any input on axle choices for my JK, or is the lack of response telling me that there is no value gem out there?

FYI, I consider value to be spending as much as is required and as little as possible. It's not saying buy junk.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you're going to a full float 60 there isn't any reason to get rid of your axle, especially from the sounds of your driving. If you're that worried I would take it to a reputable shop before your trip to have everything checked over. Sounds like you have plenty of beef for what you're looking to do.
Whereabouts in south western pa are you? I'm right on the boarder of wv/oh/pa, near beaver.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Greens and blues at RC are cake, especially if you've got any modification done. Where people get into trouble is because they're inept at what they're doing.

I drive 12 hours to RC with traffic, wheel all weekend, and have no questions about driving back Sunday for work Monday morning.

If you really want to go big and go big affordably then maybe you'll want to look into super duty axles. You'll have to have someone build them but they're on par with aftermarket axle prices, especially after you sell that d44 front.

I think you're overthinking it. Wheel responsibly and avoid the jumps.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/11...lds-strongest/
Old 01-18-2016, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

I swapped the Rubicon D44 into my Willys and just did C-Gussets. With 35s and wheeling Greens/Blues, I'm confident in the axle.

If that is where you see yourself stopping, I'd put the money towards something else.

If 37s and Blacks are in your future, then an upgrade could be worth consideration.

FYI - I'm also in PGH.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

G2 core44
Old 01-18-2016, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run what you have. Unless you start breaking shafts or bending housings there's no reason to swap to another 44. With the weight & size of the JK either run 60s or run stock axles.

If you need 60s you'll know you need them.

I've run black & reds at RC on 35s with my Dana 44s, it wasn't pretty but I did it. I've driven 30+ hours to Moab the last 2 years for 2 weeks of wheeling per trip as well.

As a driver you need to know what you're doing & you need to know the limitations of your equipment.

Except for wear & tear items (TRE, ball joints, unit bearings) I've been surprised with my axles. Friends have broken their shit but I've been lucky. I am sure my time is coming soon.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket JK D44 : What's best value in complete assemblies?