Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Aftermarket JK D44 : What's best value in complete assemblies?

Old 01-19-2016, 07:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I broke my front d44 I went with the TF44 housing and put my guts and e-locker in it. All the housings are within a couple hundred bucks of each other but I liked that the TF44 uses a normal pattern cover unlike the pr44 and the g2-44. My front housing was junk though so I wasn't in a position like you where I could sell the whole unit and put it against the cost of a whole front end.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Unless you're going to a full float 60 there isn't any reason to get rid of your axle, especially from the sounds of your driving. If you're that worried I would take it to a reputable shop before your trip to have everything checked over. Sounds like you have plenty of beef for what you're looking to do.
Whereabouts in south western pa are you? I'm right on the boarder of wv/oh/pa, near beaver.
I'm in Baden, and I drive through Beaver every day to get to work at Shippingport. I work at the Nuke.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Greens and blues at RC are cake, especially if you've got any modification done. Where people get into trouble is because they're inept at what they're doing.

I drive 12 hours to RC with traffic, wheel all weekend, and have no questions about driving back Sunday for work Monday morning.

If you really want to go big and go big affordably then maybe you'll want to look into super duty axles. You'll have to have someone build them but they're on par with aftermarket axle prices, especially after you sell that d44 front.

I think you're overthinking it. Wheel responsibly and avoid the jumps.
My current front is not a 44, its a Dana 30 with 4.88 gears, E-Locker, Artec Full Armor truss kit, ARB diff cover. I have no clue what I can sell it for, its currently on the garage floor all cleaned and part way through getting 2 fresh coats of POR15 on it. I was thinking that $1500 for a locked, gusseted, trussed, geared, welded skids, welded track bar raise brackets, D30 with ARB cover would be a fair price? I can't see getting much more than that.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

Had a buddy of mine (Engineer) do calculations on the stock JK D30/D44 axle tube (2.75" x .25"), then the 2 base aftermarket tube sizes (3" x 1/2" and 3.5" x .25") to see how they stack up.

The diameter plays a large roll in ultimate strength, as does the thickness. Both together compliment each other.

So stepping up from factory D30/D44 tubes ( 2.75" x 0.25") to the Teraflex 3.5" x 0.25" is 105% increase in torsion (twisting) and stiffness (bending).

Stepping up to the Teraflex from the Curry/Dynatrack gains you 6% in both torsion and stiffness.

I believe that Teraflex allows for a custom ordered 3.5" x 0.5" housing? If so, that would be the ultimate.

But considering the shelf aftermarket material designs, one would likely want to consider the use of the part. If your a rock crawler who plans to do KOTH high speed rock bashing, there is no doubt that the 3" x 0.5" tube is going to be much more resistant to impact deformation. While it gives up 6% in torsional and stiffness strength, you would be MUCH better served with the thicker tube knowing that you are the kind of guy that slams the axle into immovable objects. If your a "soft" wheeler, such as your typical guy that overlands, plays on trails, ruts or mud... the 1/2" thick tube isn't really buying you anything, as your not likely using the axle as a ram against rock. The larger diameter and +6% torsion/stiffness would likely be the better choice. That choice is even more firm with larger/heavier wheels/tires.

So, that makes it clear as mud! Unless you custom order a 3.5" x 0.5" tube assembly, they are nearly equal in torsion/stiffness. The 3" x .5" is heavier weight and more resistant to isolated impact damage (denting).

I don't intend to call anything out as better or worse, but just adding information for a person to ponder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Axle Tube calcs.jpeg
Views:	450
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	635016
Old 02-17-2017, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larry0071
Does anyone have any input on axle choices for my JK, or is the lack of response telling me that there is no value gem out there?

FYI, I consider value to be spending as much as is required and as little as possible. It's not saying buy junk.
I ordered complete assemblies from G2. they are reinforced D44s with 35 spline axles and Auburn ECTED e lockers. I had to use my knuckles, and brakes, but those can be upgrades as well. you can pretty much get them configured anyway you want. install would have been direct bolt on, had I not been also doing EVO long arm kit and coil overs. the axles look great, price was about on point with everyone elses full assemblies. in the 3-4 k range. more if you want more fancy stuff added. its all what you want to spend. I'm happy with mine.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket JK D44 : What's best value in complete assemblies?