JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   Air down before driving on beach? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/air-down-before-driving-beach-179554/)

gump3842k 05-25-2011 08:53 AM

Air down before driving on beach?

Hey Guys, I just had 33 inch nitto trail grapplers put on my jeep this is the first mud terrain ive ever had... This will be my first weekend taking them out on the beach, in the past ive always had A/T 's and aired them down to 18 PSI before heading out, do these need to be aired down as well? Thanks!

doctorspears 05-25-2011 09:09 AM

I just had the rubicon in the outer banks 4x4 beach last week. It did fairly well with full pressure, but dropping to about 22 psi made the ride better in looser sand and on the dunes. I don't think it is absolutly necessary, but it certainly won't hurt.

Work in Progress - JK 05-25-2011 09:23 AM

You can always air down to get out. :rock:

lowrpmtork 05-25-2011 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by doctorspears (Post 2311498)
I just had the rubicon in the outer banks 4x4 beach last week. It did fairly well with full pressure, but dropping to about 22 psi made the ride better in looser sand and on the dunes. I don't think it is absolutly necessary, but it certainly won't hurt.

I didn't know there was a petrol-friendly beach at OBX. Where is it? We usually vaykay in the Waves area. ...sorry for the hijack

Alias 05-25-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by lowrpmtork (Post 2311788)
I didn't know there was a petrol-friendly beach at OBX. Where is it? We usually vaykay in the Waves area. ...sorry for the hijack

Carova is 4wd friendly, it's just south of the VA border.. I try and go there once all the kids go back to school and it becomes offseason.. (much cheaper rates :P )

IcyFridge 05-25-2011 11:35 AM

Yes, you should air down. It helps float over the sand better.

madhatter 05-25-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Alias (Post 2311798)
Carova is 4wd friendly, it's just south of the VA border.. I try and go there once all the kids go back to school and it becomes offseason.. (much cheaper rates :P )

OBX is 4x4 friendly from top to bottom in certain spots. any gas station or bait shop can tell you where the ramps are located. However if you are down there you might ask about joining OBPA if you're interested in driving on the beach. The National Forest Service is trying to kick us off the beach. It has been a big fight for several years now. Outer Banks Preservation Assoc. (OBPA) is a local lobby group

Battlefrog 05-25-2011 11:38 AM

I was just at corolla beach last weekend (outer banks) off of 12 N (NC side)... I ran my mud countries at 25 psi just fine. To avoid the ESP kicking in (always at wrong time), either turn it off or drive in 4Lo.. The sand was pretty loose but if you travel closer to the water it's packed pretty well and you will have no issues...

madhatter 05-25-2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Battlefrog (Post 2311815)
I was just at corolla beach last weekend (outer banks) off of 12 N (NC side)... I ran my mud countries at 25 psi just fine. To avoid the ESP kicking in (always at wrong time), either turn it off or drive in 4Lo.. The sand was pretty loose but if you travel closer to the water it's packed pretty well and you will have no issues...

How long have you had your tires. I have been looking at the mud country

Super1 05-25-2011 11:53 AM

It's much easier on your Jeep engine and tranny if you air down. You don't want to dig into rhe sand and push it around. Much better to air down and float on the sand.