Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Airing Down - Airin Up Why/ How

Old 05-27-2008, 11:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scouter4life
Fish - quick question, do you leave the deflators on while on the trail or take them off after they are done? I've read you can leave them on, but they see to stick out a lot and I'm afraid they'll get damaged or ripped off by rocks.
I love these and always take them off while wheeling and put the regular caps back on. Also, you will want to set your deflators before you go and a good way to do that is to air your spare down to the desired PSI and then set each of them to that PSI. It's pretty easy to set and even easier to use when you are airing down on the trail. Those are a good buy.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:13 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks BYU & N2Rock, that's what I figured, but wanted to verify.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I regularly air mine down to 15 psi and haven't broken any beads yet with the stock Rubi tires\rims. I know alot of other guys that run down to 8 psi, but 15 seems to have treated me pretty well.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Kachad
I regularly air mine down to 15 psi and haven't broken any beads yet with the stock Rubi tires\rims. I know alot of other guys that run down to 8 psi, but 15 seems to have treated me pretty well.
I have had my stock Rubi BFG's down to 5 psi in the snow..because there is not much sidewall to flex on the BFG's 5 psi worked great and I really needed last time in the snow...rock crawling I agree that 12 to 15 is just fine
Old 05-27-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scouter4life
Fish - quick question, do you leave the deflators on while on the trail or take them off after they are done? I've read you can leave them on, but they see to stick out a lot and I'm afraid they'll get damaged or ripped off by rocks.
no way do we leave them on.we have actually damaged the valve stems so bad on trips that we had to change the tire out with the spare because we were unable to air the damaged valve stem tire up.
not to mention the deflators are a bit pricey.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RiggerMike
I have found that air up times improve if you keep the engine running when using the cheapo compressor.
Hell, i keep mine running and it still takes 8-10 min. each..!!!
sucky sucky

and my Staun deflators are supposed to be at 18 psi out of the box, but they were closer to 15, but we had no problems.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cheapo compressor from Costco works just great. Stock Rubicon tires air from 15 to 37 in 3 minutes each. Really a great little pump for 40 something dollars.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

I picked up the Smittybuilt Deflators at 4WheelParts for $30 and they are identical to the Stauns that are $60. I also have the Viair 400p compressor that works fine to air up my 35's in about 2 1/2 minutes each from 15psi to 30psi.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Or you can just make your own for about $30 and make sure the tires are the exact same pressure.

Here's my how-to

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...tire+deflating

Works great
Old 06-01-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VBS4- I do intend on making this setup for my Jeep. I read the writeup some time ago and loved the idea. Thanks for reminding me of another project.

Thanks for everyone posting. I can explain the reasoning of airing down much better than before. Sometimes it's not learning something really new but being better able to help someone understand all the reasons why something works better.

Quick Reply: Airing Down - Airin Up Why/ How