Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Arb Magnum Hand Winch

Old 04-24-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Arb Magnum Hand Winch

Just wondering what you guys think of this. The whole ensemble would cost around $400, but it comes with 60' of steel cable which is a pretty good length. I don't know, but I think it would be more versatile to have than an electric winch....What do you think? I figure my offroading style does not dictate the need for an electric winch on my bumper all year long either. The Arb Magnum winch does look pretty nice though...

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 04-24-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy a smittybuilt for 400 or less. I just don't see the purpose of a hand winch.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

If you already have a Hi-lift jack, why not just use it?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with the masses, just get a smitty. Why spend 400 on a hand winch that is limited to right at about the weight of a jku?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

I'm just going to go ahead with your suggestions (and nearly everyone else's) and just get an electric winch. For some reason though, I am leaning more towards the Rugged Ridge 8500 winch. I have had good success with the Rugged Ridge products and I like their support on the forum, plus I can probably just pick one up at the Northridge 4x4 close to where I live rather than having one shipped up here. Do you guys see anything wrong with the Rugged Ridge winches. I'm not going to go synthetic either since I don't want the line to turn to a block of ice in the winter.

Or should I just go with the Smittybilt winch? Also, is the battery that comes with the Jeep from the factory good enough to hook the winch up to, or do I need a diferent battery as well?

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 04-26-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Rugged Ridge (on the whole) has generally poor tolerances and allows little slips to go out the door. Yeah, they have some nice stuff but it isn't top quality. I would go with smittybilt....even though smitty doesn't have a perfect record either. Look at all of the threads about RR products not working out or bolting right up. Do you want that quality in the solenoid when you need it to work most??

By all means- someone prove me wrong and show me where people have had a better experience with RR. I personally have their bumper and my friend has their mirror movers, neither worked perfectly as it should have.

No info on the battery because I swapped out a red top at 200 miles.
Thanks for your opinions. You are right though, looking though all the threads, there is a lot more positive reviews on the Smitty winches. Seems like when they first came out with them they had some issues, but the newer ones have better reviews. I should probably just get the XRC10 for my Unlimited. Seems like the most popular choice and not that much more money than the XRC8, or the RR8500.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 04-26-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, the 10 is only $100 more than the 8. PM my friend battlefrog and ask where he bought his. He got a killer deal on it, a very low price including shipping.
Thanks!!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the Rugged Ridge, Smiitty and possibly the Harbor freight are all the same winch just different stickers
Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rugged Ridge (on the whole) has generally poor tolerances and allows little slips to go out the door. Yeah, they have some nice stuff but it isn't top quality. I would go with smittybilt....even though smitty doesn't have a perfect record either. Look at all of the threads about RR products not working out or bolting right up. Do you want that quality in the solenoid when you need it to work most??

By all means- someone prove me wrong and show me where people have had a better experience with RR. I personally have their bumper and my friend has their mirror movers, neither worked perfectly as it should have.

No info on the battery because I swapped out a red top at 200 miles.
didn't you just buy the Rugged Ridge Rims?
Old 04-27-2011, 03:13 AM
JK Freak

Honestly, it looks like the Rugged Ridge 8500 and Smittybilt winches were put together in the same factory using the same components. They just have different styling to go with each particular brand's theme. I for one have always liked the Rugged Ridge styling over that of Smittybilt though. If I can get a RR 8500 through the Northridge 4x4 where I live, then at least, if there's any problems with it, I can return it easier than trying to ship it back to the USA.

Quick Reply: Arb Magnum Hand Winch