Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

attaching tow rope with no tow hooks

Old 05-12-2011, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default attaching tow rope with no tow hooks

A friend just got a 2009 wrangler with no front tow hooks, besides installing oem hooks is there any safe ways to attach a strap in case he needs help?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the one thing that has bugged me about that trail rated badge on the side of the jeep. How can it be trail rated when every jeep jamboree requires that you have front and rear tow hooks and the X comes without either of them? Almost sounds like false advertising to me.

Regardless of all that, you do need to buy the tow hooks for front and rear if you plan on wheeling the Jeep or get new bumpers that have them.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my X came with them but i only had the factory bumper on for about a month until i got the beastly body armor bumpers. i think if you get the factory hooks you could just cut the space out on the bumper you have now and feed them threw and mount them. im sure those hooks dont cost all that much but me personally its a great excuse to get a new bumper
Old 05-12-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by genesbro
That is the one thing that has bugged me about that trail rated badge on the side of the jeep. How can it be trail rated when every jeep jamboree requires that you have front and rear tow hooks and the X comes without either of them? Almost sounds like false advertising to me.

Regardless of all that, you do need to buy the tow hooks for front and rear if you plan on wheeling the Jeep or get new bumpers that have them.
Plenty of X's came with factory tow hooks.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 2007 X and 2011 Sport came with hooks on both ends
Old 05-13-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well hooray for those that got them for free, I had to buy them for front and rear, go figure. I now have the nice LOD with winch up front and a stock bumper sitting in the garage with the tow hooks still on it, and that bumper weighs about 10 pounds if that, should have just replaced it in the first place.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

There are quite a few good tow hook sets I have seen out there that can be bolted on for less than $100 if you don't want to go the new bumper route, or troll CL for somebody who upgraded and wants to dump their old bumper cheap/free. Everything I have seen the risk of damage to the winch line, strap, or vehicle is too high to be worth skipping such a simple upgrade.

Quick Reply: attaching tow rope with no tow hooks