Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Auto vs Manual

Old 10-12-2014, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the I6 you could let off the clutch in 2H and it not die. Real low in Torque.
How is a M6 a disadvantage on the trails??? It's not hard to drive trails in a standard just have traction control off so it not trying to pull power while climbing... Only reason I see a logical reason to get a Auto is soccer mom never see dirt, big city DD, wounded warrior....
Old 10-13-2014, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think we're getting close to solving this debate
Old 10-13-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Auto because txt n driving > shifting n driving.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^no. It's really not. Nobody dies bc they were shifting gears.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cutman
^^^^no. It's really not. Nobody dies bc they were shifting gears.
Fact. It only gets complicated while driving to drive shift text and wave... Thus why I don't text and drive, waving can be challenging enough when you need to shift.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cutman
I think we're getting close to solving this debate

Yup - I give it another week and we'll have our answer. :-)
Old 10-19-2014, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Highway gas mileage

Originally Posted by EzK
Pretty much every modern car has higher rated mpg in automatic form. And you must not see much traffic if you think a stick is therapeutic. I need therapy after stopping and going 500 times on the way home from work.

My dd is a stick because I enjoy the control and illusion of more speed but I've wheeled 3 manual wranglers and will never go back after wheeling my auto XJ.
The Jeep Grand Cherokee has an 8 speed automatic (with continuous shift or something like that ). It's the new upgrade to improve gas mileage.
The Jeep Wrangler gets better highway mileage with a 6 speed stick (21 mpg) than with a 5 speed automatic (20 mpg), if you believe Jeep's specs and the EPA estimates.
I have to think it's because the manual has a higher gear ratio in 6th speed of the MT than the 5 speed auto does. But I don't know this for a fact. Anyone care to comment on the highway gas mileage?

Last edited by DesertCanyons; 10-20-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

This is a good thread with lots of valuable info. Once you weed through all the disagreement there are a few bits of useful details.
I hadn't realized you could jam up a manual transmission by shifting in a stream crossing. I didn't realize the clutch was so exposed when you press the pedal.
A couple posts said the 6th gear in a MT is useless with the higher rear axle gear ratios. Why is that? What's it like?

I'm looking to purchase a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon fairly soon. While I read that the 6 speed manual trans is standard equipment, here in So Cal I see mostly automatics for sale. I haven't found a stick yet that I can test drive. I think I'll have to special order the manual stick shift if I want one. I've driven both stick and manual over the years. My first 3 cars and trucks were stick shift. The last two, a Ford Ranger and the current Jeep Grand Cherokee are automatics. It's a lot easier to drive an automatic and do anything else, like drink my coffee or hold hands with my main squeeze. But the manual offers more control off-road and up steep grades, I think... With the low 4.10:1 rear diff of the Rubicon the off-road fun should be easy with a stick. I don't plan to do much rock crawling, unless I have to. Mostly the Jeep is a way to reach those remote desert canyons and great outdoor destinations.

I think with the Rubicon's gearing I wouldn't use 1st gear much for city driving. I think you could start off in 2nd gear most of the time. That's what I always did with my 1963 GMC 3/4 ton truck and 4 gears forward. It had what we called a Granny gear (1st gear) that was very low. It was for heavy loads and steep grades, or when you wanted to crawl slowly. You wouldn't drive over 3 or 4 mph in it. If you used it, you had to shift into 2nd immediately if you wanted to go anywhere. I just imagine the 1st gear of the Jeep Rubicon is not for city driving on flat pavement. I can see using 2nd through 4th for most city streets, under 40 mph. Is that true. Anyone with a Rubicon, 4.10:1 rear diff care to share their experience with this?

As I said in the post above, with a 6 speed manual trans the estimated highway mileage is better than with the 5 speed automatic. Has anyone checked their gas mileage for comparison?

Last edited by DesertCanyons; 10-20-2014 at 10:24 PM. Reason: I meant to say it's easier to drive an automatic

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual