Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Beach driving

Old 03-11-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

I appreciate all of the advice. Unfortunately I don't have a buddy for the trip, so I'll err on the careful side. I'm sure my wife will make sure of that. If anyone wants to do some surf fishing the first week of April, keep an eye out for the red 4dr loaded with boys and dogs.

I'll plan to pack some carpet strips and a shovel and consider a winch and anchor purchase before the trip. Tire pressure understood, no problem. I have a manual transmission, so not worried about overdrive, but I'll keep an eye on the engine temp.

I installed a congo rack yesterday, so I'll carry as much extra gas as I can without being classified as a fuel tanker.

My biggest uncertainty is within the right area between the dunes and the surf, how solid does the soil need to be?

Also, should I be worried about an unprotected fuel evaporation canister on the beach? Is moving it or protecting it a 'must-do'?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven the length of Hatteras island, never had any problems. Make sure to have a shovel and a jerk strap. It only feels like your going to get "stuck" at the entrance ramps, steady speed over comes that. Skid plates not really an issue. 4lo never had to use it on the beach. Air down and follow the tracks. Spare gas is fine but just fill it before hitting the sand. I never have been able to find a part of the beach where you are the only ones and that was before the NPS cut down on the area you can drive on. Just remember stay in the marked areas "save the birds."
Old 03-11-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Default ? for rc007

Originally Posted by rc007
I've been to Cape Lookout,NC couple of times. It is very nice. You need to watch out for the signs on the beach where there is no driving allowed (some sections of the beach are not allowed for driving). Also, although not posted but there is a speed limit for the beach. Make sure you fill up your gas tank before getting on the Island. You will find it is very easy to burn full tank of gas if you drive on the island for few hours. Lowering tire pressure to 18psi gets you better driving experience.

Enjoy the trip!
Can I drive from the campground to the lighthouse? That's my plan.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ptwilson
Can I drive from the campground to the lighthouse? That's my plan.
I'm being stalked by Ashley Furniture Home Store. Nightmares of attack furniture will ensue.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

like everyone else said no need to worry about your evap can, also, I wouldnt worry about a winch and anchor. I mean unless you just want an excuse to buy something lol. The beach is a friendly place and people tend more often then not to lend you a helping hand if you get stuck. Just bring a shovel, board or carpet, and offcourse a snatch strap. Enjoy yourself!!!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

My experience is with the deep soft sand near Carolina Beach and Ft Fisher. Also, this applies to 07-11 JKU automatics. Air down, O/D off, 4L, and if all else fails turn the a/c on and it will force the cooling fan on. Mine overheated in about 15 minutes in 4H with O/D off. I had read a lot of beach driving related posts, but not too many specific to the JKU auto.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Essentially the only riding I'm able to do is sand riding, and I know the first rule to consider is to remember to get absolutely all of the salt water and as much of the sand off as possible when you're done. You might want to put a yard sprinkler under the belly of the jeep and leave it there for a few hours if possible. As far as when you're actually driving, just do like everyone else said and air down the tires and don't try to push the engine too hard. If you keep the throttle too high for too long, you'll over heat. Most importantly, have fun man!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

A trick that hasn't been mentioned yet: If stuck on the beach, using water on the sand will firm it up. Dig a bit by hand in front of the tires to form a ramp, then add water.

A light jeep with aired-down tires probably won't have problems, more of a heavy truck or small tire SUV problem.

Quick Reply: Beach driving