Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

best off-road jack for the $$$

Old 06-14-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlampe
I have a habor frieght 4ft jack and it works great!

No seriously, it is junk. Side by side you can see the difference. I would put a bottle jack where your stock jack is and a hi lift on the hood or bumper. I have used my high lift a lot. I wouldn't wheel with out it.
I've seen the HF and it looks ok but I think the Reese at Tractor Supply looks a little better. I'm not cheap I just don't want to have to order a jack. If Tractor Supply still slold the HiLift I would get it.

"Life is too short to drive boring cars"
Old 06-14-2014, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Reece makes first class stuff. It will probably be great.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm a bottle jack carrier. Although I've never used a high lift, some light fingered bastard would probably take the high lift off the Jeep where I live.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi Lift style Jacks work but are extremely dangerous to use while off road. Seldom do we have a flat tire or breakage on flat, level hard surfaces.

I opted for an ARB Exhaust bag jack.

Everyone else I wheel with has a Hi Lift style and one guy brings a small HF aluminum floor jack (which worked better than a Hi Lift jack last time our group had a blown tire - the Hi Lift was to unstable and the floor jack saved the day - that's when I decided to get an exhaust jack).
Old 06-15-2014, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi lifts are not practical to use for changing tires with the wheel droop most of us have. Bottle jacks and exhaust jacks are the way to go for sure. I carry a shorter highlift anyway for other purposes. They can be used as a comealong or to assist carrying the weight of a vehicle in softer muddy situations. But I would never rely on just one type.

Bottle jack
Factory scissor jack
48 inch farm jack
Exhaust jack (coming soon)

Be prepared

Stay muddy my friends
Old 06-15-2014, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Best jack for the money (following the OP request) is the scissor jack that comes with the Jeep (there is no additional cost for them). I have had a Hi Lift jack since I started driving and love trying to find a reason to use it but the factory included scissor jack is what I have used every time I needed to lift my Jeep for repairs/tires. Perhaps over a few more decades and miles offroad (I have been offroading as long as I can remember, it's a way of life where I grew up) I'll better define a more socially acceptable offroad jack but so far you can't beat free!

Last edited by CombatDiver; 06-15-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have lifted your Jeep and run larger than stock tires, the factory scissor lift may not work. You can get the AEV stock jack base that will help, or a block of wood.

When you have a lift, carry a ratchet strap to secure the axle prior to jacking to reduce the large amount of droop.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bsmarble
Anyone have experience with the Reese that Tractor Supply sells? I want a HiLift but nobody sells it in central NY and I don't want to order it. The least amount of brown boxes being intercepted by the wife the better, if you know what I mean..

You could ship the jack to your friends house,or family member, or even to where you work. Just a thought....
Old 06-16-2014, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GetLost
You could ship the jack to your friends house,or family member, or even to where you work. Just a thought....
I might be sneaky but I'm not dishonest.lol

Old 06-16-2014, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bsmarble
I might be sneaky but I'm not dishonest.lol

That IS being sneeky-dishonest is if your wife asks you if you bought a new hi lift, and you say no. ;-)

Quick Reply: best off-road jack for the $$$