JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   Can I do the jeep jamboree with a stock JK? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/can-i-do-jeep-jamboree-stock-jk-322296/)

bigblue506 05-30-2015 10:03 AM

Can I do the jeep jamboree with a stock JK?

Just bought a jeep JKU 4dr unlimited sport. It has the basic 31-32" wrangler wheels and tires 255 75R17. I'm looking to go to the jeep jamboree event in the northwoods of Wisconsin with my dad this July. Can my stock JK handle some or most of those trails? If yes how well and if no what should I upgrade and why?

TheDirtman 05-30-2015 10:14 AM

Jamborees have different levels of trails and most are pretty mild as they are geared to the new jeeper. They will have guides that will help spot drivers thru the tougher spots and give them tips on how to pick proper lines and such. It is more of a social gathering then off roading. The only real thing to consider is tires as you may have traction issues if it is muddy.

bigblue506 05-30-2015 10:32 AM

Yeah i was worried about the muddy ones for sure. I'm thinking about getting one set of off road and mud tires and leave my stock ones for the road

auceny 05-30-2015 08:41 PM

I just got back from the Badlands Jamboree which was my first time off-road other than atvs and I would recommend it for sure! I have aftermarket skids, bumpers, and winch but have stock suspension and rubicon mud tires (I have a Willys) and I went places that surprised me. Rubicon takeoff tires/wheels and maybe some skid plates if a four door are what I would recommend. I ran in a slightly tough group and have lots of scratches and dents underneath (mostly) to show for it but that's what skid plates, rocker rails, and steel bumpers are there for!

bigblue506 05-30-2015 09:02 PM

Thanks for the advice on this.

kmrtnsn 05-31-2015 12:51 PM

Your Jeep? Sure. Your tires? That is your weak point. Your stock sport is running on P (for passenger) rated tires with weak sidewalls and shallow tread (as much as 5/32 depending on tire compared to) in comparison to a lugged LT (light Truck) off road tire, be it a mud terrain or an all terrain. In mud your Goodyear RSAs will load up with and retain mud; not good. On rocks they're susceptible to chunking of the tread because of the soft compounds used and cutting of the weak sidewalls when aired down. Look around your area for a cheap set of Rubicon take-off tires and wheels to use as your "intro" tires to off-roading.

There are some great pics here somewhere of a guy trying to run some "basic" trails last year in Death Valley on stock RSAs. He went through his spare and the spares of a couple of other people, an example why tires are one of the first things changed on a new Jeep.

bigblue506 06-01-2015 08:47 AM

Would 255/70 R18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Tires be acceptable?

bigblue506 06-01-2015 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn (Post 4105823)
Your Jeep? Sure. Your tires? That is your weak point. Your stock sport is running on P (for passenger) rated tires with weak sidewalls and shallow tread (as much as 5/32 depending on tire compared to) in comparison to a lugged LT (light Truck) off road tire, be it a mud terrain or an all terrain. In mud your Goodyear RSAs will load up with and retain mud; not good. On rocks they're susceptible to chunking of the tread because of the soft compounds used and cutting of the weak sidewalls when aired down. Look around your area for a cheap set of Rubicon take-off tires and wheels to use as your "intro" tires to off-roading. There are some great pics here somewhere of a guy trying to run some "basic" trails last year in Death Valley on stock RSAs. He went through his spare and the spares of a couple of other people, an example why tires are one of the first things changed on a new Jeep.

Would 255/70 R18 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Tires be acceptable?

Ol' Bob 06-01-2015 10:56 AM

You're fine. Go have a blast. Those events are a lot of fun. Not to mention, you'll meet some great people and learn a lot.

TheDirtman 06-01-2015 12:26 PM

I would not work about it until you get some experience off road. Go out and drive and you will learn what you need. Personally I would go with a 16" or 17" wheel size for better off road performance. Going to an 18" AT tire is going to be minimal benefit.