Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Can i pull....

Old 06-01-2011, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It goes back to if you are snatching or towing. The jerk of a snatch can create a force well over the weight of your vehicle and could cause a failure. But those pins are pretty robust so...snatch at your own risk . If you're towing someone out then you'll be fine, just like towing a boat.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zking1776
It goes back to if you are snatching or towing. The jerk of a snatch can create a force well over the weight of your vehicle and could cause a failure. But those pins are pretty robust so...snatch at your own risk . If you're towing someone out then you'll be fine, just like towing a boat.
I'll be honest... I wouldn't ever use the hitch except if I'm towing a trailer. It just isn't designed for recovery. And that means there is always the chance the pin would bend... If it did... good luck getting it out!

I would always hook onto a proper frame mounted recovery point. They are designed to take both the shock load of a snatch recovery and the static load of a dead pull...
Old 06-01-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PocketWatts
On my hitch i have one of the heavy duty locking hitch pins and its one of the bull ring things.. Is that setup okay to pull with?
The "Bull ring thing" I assume you mean pintle hitches... They are still hitches. They are ment for pulling a trailer not for recovery.

Think about it this way... The JK hitch is rated for somewhere around 3500 lbs with the Tow package... You can easly get into the 20,000 lbs zone using a snatch strap...
I wouldn't do it...
Old 06-04-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wmphoto

The "Bull ring thing" I assume you mean pintle hitches... They are still hitches. They are ment for pulling a trailer not for recovery.

Think about it this way... The JK hitch is rated for somewhere around 3500 lbs with the Tow package... You can easly get into the 20,000 lbs zone using a snatch strap...
I wouldn't do it...
An engineer friend worked up and just to bend the hitch pin is approximately 50,000 psi. Your 30k strap will break first.

The pin is a grade 5 piece of hardware.

The hitch rated at 3500 has more to do with spring rate, cooling, and power, NOT it's strength for vehicle recovery.

A class III Hitch is just fine to use.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
I say no more talkin' to her until she puts up some pics............lol
OMG, glad I had no milk in my mouth!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by PocketWatts
Oh i got me a good strap on buddy. U just dont worry about that!! My strap on does the job perfectly! ;-)
Old 06-06-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CerOf
An engineer friend worked up and just to bend the hitch pin is approximately 50,000 psi. Your 30k strap will break first.

The pin is a grade 5 piece of hardware.

The hitch rated at 3500 has more to do with spring rate, cooling, and power, NOT it's strength for vehicle recovery.

A class III Hitch is just fine to use.
I would be curious if anyone has ever seen a hitch pin or the hitch itself break when snatching someone. Because I too, have been guilty on occasion of using the hitch on a quick, easy pull. Bad habit from old pickup truck days, when the hitch was stronger than the bumper.

As far as pulling someone out. I come across people in the ditch in the winter here quite often. If I cannot find some place on their vehicle that looks pretty darn solid to hook on to, I will not touch their vehicle. They can borrow my cell phone if needed.

Be careful as it is really easy to tear the hell out of their vehicle, especially snatching. I have watched other well meaning people do harm while trying to help, and it ain't pretty. I have also seen bravado and pride (oh I can pull anything out) cause havoc.

If, after doing any needed digging, you can't walk them out in 4-lo and maybe a little tugging.....reconsider.

Last edited by Yankee; 06-06-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wmphoto
Something to think about...
You said you were going to hook up to your hitch...

I would warn against this. It is very easy to bend the pin you put in your hitch...
And of course a royal pain to get it out if you have bent it...

The hitch pin is not made to take shock loads... it is ment to take a static load.

So, attach to an actual recovery point on your Jeep to tow or be towed out of anyhting. Recovery points are almost always attached to your frame rail...
I've broken straps but never a hitch pin or even bent one. Several 4wd vehicles delete the rear hook altogether when u have a hitch as it is a suitable recovery point.

Quite frankly, I think you are incorrect and welcome a debate.

The 2007-2008 JK use a rear tow hook mounted with three bolts. It mounts up in the same location as the hitch does.

The hitch mounts with four bolts further spreading the load.

I would argue hitch is even better than the hook. However, I'll agree to compromise that it is just as effective.

Given the average recovery "snatch" strap is rated at 20,000 to 30,000 lbs., your strap will break LONG before the Class III 5/8ths grade 5 hitch pin will even bend.

The hitch, when using the 5/8ths pin is rated, very conservatively at least 21,000lbs. This is for single shear. The pin typically has a load spread to two shear points effectively doubling the rating to 40,000 lbs+

This is research I've done on the Internet that backs up my engineer friend who told me 50,000 lbs just to bend it.

So in short, I'm VERY comfortable using the Class III hitch.

You class II and class I folks should probably not do it.

(typed on iPhone, pardon typos)
Old 06-10-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

20 years in the Tow and Recovery Business and never Broke, Bent or Destroyed a hitch or hitch pin from pulling on it. You can't stick a vehicle enough to pull a hitch off it, Especially with something as light as a Jeep. Always use both tow hooks or your winch when pulling to avoid bending the frame horns. Never attatch to anything other than a recovery point, or you'll be sorry

Quick Reply: Can i pull....