Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Communications: CB's, Walkie Talkies, etc

Old 08-30-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cb radio

I thought every one knew that a walkie talkie is a cb radio. They use the frequencies assigned by the FCC as Citizen's Band or CB. The fellow using the handheld on a firestick is improving the reception and transmitting range of the walkie talkie because an antenna mounted to the automobile also using the metal of the automobile as antenna. for maximum reception in all directions an antenna should be mounted in the center of your automobile not much option for that with a jeep. if you run topless all the time you could mount to the rollbar. Any channel can be used by you and your friends to communicate with each other. avoid 19 because of the trucker traffic. You can''t hear your buddy nor can he hear you if trucker's are using that channel.

High dollar units are available that allow the user to use side bands. Side bands transmit farther and receive farther than regular cb. all your buddies would have to have the side band units for communication or it would not work for you.

O yeah, a linear amplifier will transmit enough rf to bleed over onto the pa system in mcdonalds or sonic as I have done this without a linear. Hell I thought nobody ever used cb units anymore.

oh i made a mistake these new walkie talkies are not operated on the cb frequencies. they are GMRS whick I found out is something you are supposed to get a license to operate. please excuse this old man being so far behind the times.

Last edited by hawgrider1200; 09-04-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

With the wide usage of cell phones (and their unlimited reach) the only reason I can think of using a CB is the ability to speak to a group of people at one time. Such as your trailing group. I certainly wouldn't count on anyone being within reach from mountain canyons or remote areas where you can still call 911 or a friend via phone. They do look cool though, especially in a Jeep.

If I was using a handheld (and I have), I would mount a vehicle mounted antenna to hook it to when you wanted to increase your reach.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cell phones have "unlimited reach" as long as they are within cell tower range..... There are many parts of my state (Texas) where your phone will not work.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks. I always like being corrected by you "Easterners".
Old 09-01-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Always glad to help out a Yank.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:37 PM
JK Newbie

The main difference between walkie-talkies and CB radios is their range. Walkie-talkies, in the best possible conditions, can transmit to a distance of around two miles. CB radios, on the other hand, can transmit up to 20 miles, which is ten times the range. As well as this, CB radios and walkie-talkies operate on different frequencies and walkie-talkies usually have codes set up so that they can only communicate with a paired device.

Last edited by jumstar45; 10-14-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CB is great for riding in convoy to and from events and trail rides, but on trails where folks are constantly in/out of their vehicles (spotting, trail repairs, etc) they suck.

the group that I frequently ride with have switched over to using Baofeng UV-5r radios.......their range is at least double the range of a CB on ch 16, they cost less, there isn't anything to install, and they aren't tied to the vehicle.

Some more pros for the UV-5r are:
more channels (128), dual bands, ability to monitor 2 channels at once, privacy codes(CTCSS), built in FM radio, Weather, flashlight, and warning siren.
The following users liked this post:
Gear_Dog (08-07-2019)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:32 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

I have an old cb in my barn I'm gonna mount, my cell phone doesn't work at my house, much less in the woods
Old 07-10-2019, 12:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CB radio

I just run an 80 channel UHF CB installed in the Jeep, and have a couple of handhelds in glovebox for spotters or vehicles in convoy without radio. I am a licensed amateur radio operator, however that's not really for this kind of usage. We have UHF repeaters around most areas now, so it's a better option to have a radio with a good external antenna. Most people on the highways have UHF here... We get good package deals from ARB and other of road outlets from time to time that includes antenna and cable with the radio. They are so useful even on the tracks where the leader can report on track and the sweep can make sure everyone makes it safely.

Quick Reply: Communications: CB's, Walkie Talkies, etc