Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Connecting Tow Straps Safely

Old 12-24-2008, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scouter4life
Now that makes a lot of sense. I could see a jeep with the front hooks connected to the red, it would be strong and safe.
X 2 that would be the safest way to do it remember always secure the scene first and protect yourself
Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Pwermker
The best knot to use is called a "Bowline". Do a search for knot tying and you can get a detailed description on how to tie it. It is tough to remember how to tie it but it won't bind or slip. I use it to secure trees to vehicles when cutting them down and to tow. The knot will come apart very easily no matter how hard you pull on it.
but a bowline creates a weak point in the rope, that's why climbers use a figure-8 knot instead.

For two straps together I'd use a water knot, rescue teams use it to tie their straps together

http://www.animatedknots.com/waterknot/index.php

but I doubt if you'd ever get it apart

and on that note, my vote is for a shackle done w/ a blanket over the straps.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Until2004
...you are not gonna knot a strap. If you cannot reach it with one strap, and you don't have a dowel/branch to use the dowel method, use of multiple straps is possible by simply running an additional strap through your end loop and attach both it's end loops to the Jeep to be towed, essentially creating a cradle. No knots, no dowels, no shackles. More than one can be added in this fashion just by running the next one through the end loops until you have enough length.

Kinda like this:

This seems to be the way to do it and you will have the two straps tied together in a super tight knot after the recovery.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
This seems to be the way to do it and you will have the two straps tied together in a super tight knot after the recovery.
Maybe I am reading it wrong, or you meant to say something else, but the slip method I posted involves no knots, or ties, just existing end loops and use of the cradle method. It all slips apart no matter how hard it is pulled on. I have yet to find a strap that did not have factory end loops.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert
we use this method to tie 100' ropes together to get out. Without the branch wee used paper plates before but just decided to leave them together

we carry shorter straps if need be
Old 12-26-2008, 03:47 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don, if you need a nice dowel, I have the end of a shovel I use.

When I break another shovel, I will give it to you...I usually break one a month.

I might be due to break one just before the next Wolverine meeting, if so I will bring it

Dave
Old 12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert

I'm with 08 Rubi and Until - use the dowel or cradle method - both are easy to untie and if something fails it is more likely to just fall to the ground than become a high speed projectile.

that's the picture we've been waiting for, thanks

Old 12-29-2008, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

it is simple to pull apart all you do is pull them back apart the way you put it together

lie 2 straps together going the same direction

take strap 1 loop and put it through strap 2 loop at one end

at the other end take strap 2 loop and put it through strap 1 loop

have someone hold at one end the loop the went through the other loop

while you pull on the opposite end loop that went through the loop

once you get the ends to meet up just put something in the middle paper plates a branch or something that will not let it cinch up

to remove just pull the loops back out
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dsp
Don, if you need a nice dowel, I have the end of a shovel I use.

When I break another shovel, I will give it to you...I usually break one a month.

I might be due to break one just before the next Wolverine meeting, if so I will bring it

Dave
Thanks Dave, I will take you up on your offer for a broken shovel.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pwermker
The best knot to use is called a "Bowline". Do a search for knot tying and you can get a detailed description on how to tie it. It is tough to remember how to tie it but it won't bind or slip. I use it to secure trees to vehicles when cutting them down and to tow. The knot will come apart very easily no matter how hard you pull on it.
a bowline is a good choice for a static pull with moderate loads. I would recommend a bowline for dynamic loads that are created when recovering vehicles. Bowlines are very secure and the will not slip when tied and dressed properly, however due to to the sharp angle in a rope that is created when the knot Is tied, creates a weak point that can fail under heavy load. Other knots such as the figure of 8 series are more secure, strong and easy to work with under load. The grapevine series of knots are a good choice for securing two pieces of rope or strap that are roughly equal diameter. These knots may also be safely tied off "slippery" with a smooth dowl to aid in underssing the knot after it is put under load. I used to volunteer with a local high angle SAR Team so I have experience working with rope and anchor systems.

Quick Reply: Connecting Tow Straps Safely