Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Did I burn my clutch or what???

Old 05-26-2008, 11:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beta-pg
I've been a month and a half waiting to see if the stealer I bought my JK from is going to do anything for me regarding my clutch that I supposedly burnt out.

I got ti stuck in snow by my house... and I didn't ride it or anything, and they said I burnt the clutch... 1250 bucks worth of unauthorized repairs later... still waiting for to get it back.

1250 BUCKS

WTH YOU BETTER GET ONE THAT IS SQUEEK FREE AND HAS A BETTER HOLDING POWER THAN STOCK
Old 05-26-2008, 11:31 AM
JK Freak

I managed to smoke my clutch as well yesturday. Going through a washout on a steep hill and then white smoke and that definate clutch smell. The fact that I have 3:21's and 35" rubber really doesn't help. I notice that I slip alittle now in first but otherwise all is well. I'll just keep running it the way it is and it will clean itself up a bit. If I really start having issues I'll get it replaced but I'm not sweatin things just yet.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You broke it in a little,...............Don't worry. I will say, if you are in a situation where you have to ride the clutch, don't do it.
Clutch in or clutch out, Don't touch that clutch......................Have you ever heard that? It's hard and it's tempting to ride the clutch, but don't do it.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You burnt some of your clutch material off, that's all. As long as it still pulls good and feels the same as it did, you're fine.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Yup, I figure that I'll have to get out wheeling at least 4 or 5 times this week to rid the clutch of the glaze. DARN!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beta-pg
I've been a month and a half waiting to see if the stealer I bought my JK from is going to do anything for me regarding my clutch that I supposedly burnt out.

I got ti stuck in snow by my house... and I didn't ride it or anything, and they said I burnt the clutch... 1250 bucks worth of unauthorized repairs later... still waiting for to get it back.
How in the world do they get away with keeping your jeep that long? Are you making payments on it? They made the clutch repairs and tried to charge you without talking to you first? I'd be calling better business bureau if you have one up there. I guess Chrysler Customer service has been no help.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exactly, you prolly only burnt some of the clutch material off but you haven't shot the clutch completely. I did the same thing the first time I went wheeling with the JK. I had it on 4H in heavy mud (beginner's mistake).

My clutch hasn't lost anything in the effectiveness department. Trust me, from what I read it shouldn't be anything bad. Next time, remember this rule of thumb, if it's anything heavier than highway driving in snow, don't use 4H, use 4L.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

I did the same thing on my first trailride saturday going over a fallen tree. A pretty big cloud of white stinky smoke came out from under the right side. It still drives fine. I wonder how much life it might take off the clutch?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Super Freak

If you have to slip the clutch for anything then you need a lower gear.

You have low range don't be afraid to use it.

Dont worry about backing stuff up in 4 low locked up, going that slow the jeep will stip the tires you will feel it when it does, and you won't break anything.

Replacing clutches costs money and you already paid for the transfer case when you bought the jeep.

Quick Reply: Did I burn my clutch or what???