Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Disconnecting rear sway bar??

Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disconnecting rear sway bar??

I did a trail ride with a couple of experienced jeepers who disconnected their front and rear sway bars for a technical trail (Miller Jeep Tr.). The guys said that they've been doing it for years in their TJ's and now also in the JK. They said it gives them better articulation and a smoother ride.

I've seen just about everyone Disco the fronts, but I've never seen anyone Disco the rears before.

I'm curious as to how many people are doing this and for what reason? What say you?
Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disconecting the rear will certainly give you more articulation, the risk is that it can cause more sway in the body and thus lead to tipping the Jeep. I would not do it unless you are quite expierienced and understand you and your Jeeps capabilities. I personally have not yet as it's a real pain to get them off and back on, but if I had quick discos on the rear, then I probably would.

Last edited by scouter4life; 09-10-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Yes you can do this, ive seen JK's with the rear swaybar totally removed...not recommended for on- road.... but for offroad its your best opion...

KSK

Last edited by ksk; 09-10-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

better lengthen the brake lines. full stuff w/ rear disco'd will
put brake line at it's limit.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ken!!

Yep I have taken the rear off my Tj in the past. I have done it in my JK.

Articulates really well.

in fact, when you take it easy on tough trails, the body stay pretty level and allows the rear to drop without tugging on the body.

take it easy and you will get through tough stuff. On the JK you will need a

18mm wrench and a 6mm allen socket.
I agree about the brake lines
Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 PM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

I took my front and rear swaybar links away 10 months ago and have been driving it like this for over 15 000 km by now, on and off road.
I have extended brake lines on rear.
Handles very well offroad, on the road not really but it's just a thing i got used to and will go on like this for as long as i can see. No need for me to use them, each to his own.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:42 AM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Do you take extra care going around corners on road?...I bet it rolls alot on round abouts....just dont take any corners to quick or you might roll it...

KSK
Old 09-11-2008, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

I can see the news hounds drooling now "JEEP WRANGLER UNSAFE DUE TO ROLL OVER DANGER, News at 10!!". They make a big to do about how unsafe the Jeep is and without understanding what they are talking about, the only reason someone rolled it was they were going without sway bars.

I had my front sway bars off for about 3 months with no issues, sure the front corner dipped a bit on corners, but it wasn;t bad.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have RubyDoo's sway bar disconnected sence the install of the lift. She does roll a little bit more on high speed corners but other than that She has been great.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

i am going to try and disconnect the rear for this weekends ride... i have a TF 2.5" BB ... should I not tdo this until I extend the brake lines ???

Quick Reply: Disconnecting rear sway bar??