Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Esp bas light????

Old 04-27-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esp bas light????

HAve this light one. Also traction control light is on was wheeling all day in 4low and then I stated to leave and my traction control was flashing and trying to brake at the same time so I turned around and washed out my wheels and brakes and was fine the started again then the esp bas light came have no idea what it is and or how to get it off any ideas
Old 04-28-2014, 12:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The Jeep thinks it's in a skid. Is your steering wheel straight? The drag link is easily knocked out of whack. If your steering wheel isn't straight, adjust the drag link to straighten it back up. Also check the tie rod--you should have 1-16" to 1/8" of toe in between a measurement on the rear of the front tires and the front of the same tires (use exactly the same relative lug points front and rear to take this measurement). If not, adjust the toe in. While you're down there, make sure both of those rods are not bent--well, bent so much they'll bump into other things, anyway. The OEM rods are really weak and are worth replacing with aftermarket hardware if you play much on the rocks.

Another possibility is contamination of a front unit bearing if you were playing in water/mud. This is usually accompanied by an ABS light, however, and you didn't mention that.

A final possibility is that the Jeep was actually in something resembling a skid and it's just taking it's time to reset the system. If the preceding yield no joy, just ignore it for a couple days and it may go away by itself once the Jeep has been through a few engine starts.

Meanwhile, if the ESP/TCS lights are causing your Jeep to not react to the throttle (brakes applied when you accelerate, etc), use the ESP Off switch to turn it off--short press turns off some features, long press (5 seconds or more) turns off even more. That should allow you to drive the Jeep normally, but most of your electronic throttle/brake features are disabled (ABS still works, though).

Oh, edit (because watching videos is more fun than reading text, and I like to promote my videos, LOL): If you watch this video, you'll see at 4:06 that we were working on one Jeep that had exactly the same problem you described during a recent trip to Arkansas ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkNU8d8w-c

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-28-2014 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good chance it is a wheel speed sensor. About $16 and easy to change. Will need to get dealership to pull code to fine out which one, or a procal will tell you. Autozone can't pull that code only engine codes.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
The Jeep thinks it's in a skid. Is your steering wheel straight? The drag link is easily knocked out of whack. If your steering wheel isn't straight, adjust the drag link to straighten it back up. Also check the tie rod--you should have 1-16" to 1/8" of toe in between a measurement on the rear of the front tires and the front of the same tires (use exactly the same relative lug points front and rear to take this measurement). If not, adjust the toe in. While you're down there, make sure both of those rods are not bent--well, bent so much they'll bump into other things, anyway. The OEM rods are really weak and are worth replacing with aftermarket hardware if you play much on the rocks. Another possibility is contamination of a front unit bearing if you were playing in water/mud. This is usually accompanied by an ABS light, however, and you didn't mention that. A final possibility is that the Jeep was actually in something resembling a skid and it's just taking it's time to reset the system. If the preceding yield no joy, just ignore it for a couple days and it may go away by itself once the Jeep has been through a few engine starts. Meanwhile, if the ESP/TCS lights are causing your Jeep to not react to the throttle (brakes applied when you accelerate, etc), use the ESP Off switch to turn it off--short press turns off some features, long press (5 seconds or more) turns off even more. That should allow you to drive the Jeep normally, but most of your electronic throttle/brake features are disabled (ABS still works, though). Oh, edit (because watching videos is more fun than reading text, and I like to promote my videos, LOL): If you watch this video, you'll see at 4:06 that we were working on one Jeep that had exactly the same problem you described during a recent trip to Arkansas ... YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLkNU8d8w-c
well I was doing all the above haven't been underneth yet I have to replace my steering gear box it's leaking and yes my steering wheel is to the left a good bit
Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by kenwopper89
well I was doing all the above haven't been underneth yet I have to replace my steering gear box it's leaking and yes my steering wheel is to the left a good bit
Ah. Once you get the leak fixed, adjust your drag link to straighten out the steering wheel and problem should go away. Is the leak related to your off-road adventure?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is going off also along with ABS and ESP Traction control light my flash cal wont pick up the codes and the dealer wants over $100 just to scan the damn thing. Any clues?
Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by mcmahonbj
Mine is going off also along with ABS and ESP Traction control light my flash cal wont pick up the codes and the dealer wants over $100 just to scan the damn thing. Any clues?
Since your ABS light is also going off, check the wheel sensors visually. Look for a damaged wire--if you've lifted, they can easily get caught in moving parts and crushed. If no joy there, inspect each unit bearing. Ensure they turn smoothly. You can pull a wheel sensor and look inside for contamination, but be aware grease is normal. Dirt and grime are not. To troubleshoot for a bad sensor, I think you'll have to pay dealer. I did see a $300 code reader at O'Reilly's the other day that claimed to check ABS codes. Not sure if that would do job or not. Apparently the one they loan doesn't.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will try all that but that sucks to hear. That is insane that dealer would charge that for an extremely short job. Kinda messed up.

My flash cal programmer pulled up nothing on the scan...
Old 04-28-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by mcmahonbj
I will try all that but that sucks to hear. That is insane that dealer would charge that for an extremely short job. Kinda messed up.

My flash cal programmer pulled up nothing on the scan...
Yeah, the cheap scanners don't cover a lot of the mfg specific codes like for ABS, SRS, etc. Apparently Snap-on and Mac Tools do better, but are $1400 code readers. Let's hope your visual inspection turns up a smushed wire. It is a common problem.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Yeah, the cheap scanners don't cover a lot of the mfg specific codes like for ABS, SRS, etc. Apparently Snap-on and Mac Tools do better, but are $1400 code readers. Let's hope your visual inspection turns up a smushed wire. It is a common problem.
Guy who did my regear sleeve and gusset of the front axle didnt attach it to the bracket so it is frayed.

Quick Reply: Esp bas light????