Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

First off road weekend. Any tips

Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First off road weekend. Any tips

Hey everyone.
Im bringing the jeep on it's first off road weekend. Got a stock 09 wrangler unlimited. Taking it northern Quebec. Logger roads. Bush trails. And whatever else. Any tips?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take tools, food, water, blankets and fist aid kit. You never know trust me. Also don't do anything that does not feel right. Take the time to get out and test water depth before u go through it. Just a few things many many more though. Oh most of all have fun and be safe!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by medic_23387
Take tools, food, water, blankets and fist aid kit. You never know trust me. Also don't do anything that does not feel right. Take the time to get out and test water depth before u go through it. Just a few things many many more though. Oh most of all have fun and be safe!!!
good advice especially with the supplies It's a really good idea to go with another vehicle. If you are going alone, let someone know where you are headed and when you are expecting to return. Start putting together some basic recovery items as well like a snatch strap and hi-lift jack if you plan on doing a lot of offroad trips. Have fun and be prepared to want to go all the time afterwards lol.

Last edited by nmwranglerx; 05-31-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

I agree on the supplies. You need to think self reliance especially if you go it alone. Take it slow and always look at obstacles from all angles. Do you have a air pump as well? Airing down will give you better traction and a softer ride.

But most important, have fun and never do anything that looks too hard alone.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recommend recovery equipment, ability to air down and up. This is crucial for traction and passengers. Riding is different from driving. Going by your self Jeep wise is one thing but bring a passenger you never know when you will need a second set of hands, eyes, etc.. can't drive and spot trust me.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lots of great tips here.

There will be 3 of us in the jeep. We will defiantly has some supplies.

Going to be in northern Quebec visiting y friends mom. They live on a lake and tree is plenty of off roading spots. They have 2atvs an a pick up. So they will know were we are to pull us out if needed I'll be b ringing an air pump. What should I air down to? I heard that helps. Just not sure what to do

I don't think we are gonna be hitting any thing to crazy. Just going for some fun

Thanks. I'll take any tips!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

I usually go to 10 psi.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blawson
I usually go to 10 psi.
On stock tires?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah. I have a stock rubi I run at 10 psi when im out.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie

Guns, Another vehicle, a GPS and a phone to add, also don't blast through puddles of water, or water in general. Extend your breather tubes if you plan on going into anything deeper than your tires sidewall.

Quick Reply: First off road weekend. Any tips