Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

first time going off road.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Great advice from the previous replies, but you forgot to tell him, when going alone to ALWAYS tell people when you are going, where you are going, when you are returning and let them know when you do return.
That's a good point. Same with hiking, hunting, or the sort.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TreyJK
That's a good point. Same with hiking, hunting, or the sort.
yep! Unless you want to disappear. Technically, I break this rule weekly with my travels, but I figure if I come up missing, they can check my cc purchases for the week.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 08-16-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
yep! Unless you want to disappear. Technically, I break this rule weekly with my travels, but I figure if I come up missing, they can check my cc purchases for the week.
Ha that is a good way to track some people!
Old 08-16-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Last weekend we came across a guy who went out alone while Jeeping in SW Colorado . He had managed to roll his jeep. Lucky for him there were some ATV riders who had just passed us. It took 2 Jeeps and some patience to right him. Turns out he was new to Off-roading and had run Black Bear several days before. Lucky for him that he didn't roll that day as there are very few places that you can roll and not die on that trail.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TreyJK
One last piece of advice, 4 low is your best friend off road, many jeeps have the tendency to overheat the transmission oil when you're going slow in 4 high for extended periods of time. The only time I use 4 high is during the winter on road in bad conditions. You'll learn a lot your first time so don't be afraid to get stuck or take a bypass on an obstacle.
OK newbie here, so I have been using 4 high for mild trails.
So it is recommended to use 4 low instead, even for trails that are not difficult ?
I could just use 2wd on some but it seems that shifting into 4 low every time there is a steep incline would be bother some....I just thought 4 high would get me through most obsticals but after reading your post I do not wish to over heat the tranny.
Thanks for the advise by the way.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

4 low will take the stress off the drivetrain and make it easier for you to make those climbs. When running groups most I have been with run in low.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:16 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ Wheeler

OK newbie here, so I have been using 4 high for mild trails.
So it is recommended to use 4 low instead, even for trails that are not difficult ?
I could just use 2wd on some but it seems that shifting into 4 low every time there is a steep incline would be bother some....I just thought 4 high would get me through most obsticals but after reading your post I do not wish to over heat the tranny.
Thanks for the advise by the way.
It depends on the trail conditions and distance, as well as your tranny. Overheating with a manual tranny isn't an issue. Some with autos may see a hot oil warning, which is best avoided by running in 4-low. 2WD will give you better gas mileage. Beyond the financial issue, it could determine whether you can avoid running out of gas on long routes. But, you want to be in 4-low before you need it. Don't start an obstacle, then realize you need low gears to keep going. 4-low is also very useful going downhill to avoid using brakes too much. 2WD and 4-high may let you travel faster on especially good parts of the road. This may be especially true for Rubi's because of their lower transfer case gearing.

For me, non-Rubi with a manual, 2WD to save gas, extend range. 4-high if route permits faster speeds most of the time--less shifting than in low. 4-low at obstacles, down steep grades. I'm mostly into expedition/overland travel. If in a confined area with lots of obstacles, I stay in 4-low until through it.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Cool, thanks guys.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

No one mentioned when to use the lockers can we get some input on this
Old 10-06-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calys003
No one mentioned when to use the lockers can we get some input on this
Lockers are only needed in extreme situations, almost never during normal trail riding. Extreme mud, rock crawling, etc. Another important point is that it will be harder to control and steer the vehicle with engaged lockers, so practice is key to effective use.

How it works video;
http://youtu.be/-dh0VQxprJA

Quick Reply: first time going off road.