Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

First trip with my jeep

Old 06-09-2011, 11:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First trip with my jeep

Well I am about to head to central next month to take my jeep out for the fist time. I have some questions about its capabilities as a stock vehicle. The only thing I have done to it so far is a 2 in budget lift and some 33in tires. I am not a seasoned offroader so I was wondering if there is any thing I need to be carfule of in order to not destroy my brand new jeep. I know and understand my personal limits as a noob, just concerned about my jeep. I am sure it is probably more capable than I am at this point, but I am sure y'all can understand my concern.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 AM
JK Super Freak

What type of trails? Most trails hit in 4lo just to save trouble in the ling run the more you play with it the more you will know when you need 4lo 4hi or 2wd. When I first got my jk I was use to older vehicle where popping it in 4lo was no problem but the jk is a little sensitive.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 AM
JK Junkie

When yo get back from offshore hit me up and ill take you to a super easy offroad park. The Jeep straight out of the box is very capable no matter what model you have and i tell everyone that rides with me to take your ride offroad stock first before you start modifying it. By doing so it will help you understand your JK so much better than you can imagine and direct you in your priority on MOD's and what you want your JK to become.

Personally my JK is still pretty much stock and have only added MOD's to my Jeep and have only replaced one of the factory parts, which was my front bumper. The only other thing my JK has is a leveling kit from Teraflex and i only bought the leveling kit because of the bumper. i have the Sport model and i can keep up with all sorts of modified jeeps

Last edited by Sapper12b; 06-10-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Ok cool, I'll get ahold of you as soon as I get back. Thanks for the input
Old 06-10-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

NO problem thats why we are here on the forum
Old 06-10-2011, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

What model? You will be surprised what a stock Jeep can do let alone on 33's with 2" BB lift.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Offroading 101

First Tip: If there is a boulder in the middle of the trail, do not try to straddle it. Instead place your tires so that you run over the obstacle. Your differentials will appreciate it.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

As the other guys said, you're Jeep is a very capable vehicle out of the box!
Try it out on some easy trails with only mild obstacles and find out how it reacts to different terrain.
Water will be different than mud, rocks are different than sand,,,, take it slow and feel it out, take a buddy in another vehicle with you so you have someone there to help you out if you do get stuck!
I think deep sand is a hard one to wheel in, sometimes you can get through using 4 hi, and other times you need 4 lo and some skinny pedal... but it always seems to get me stuck most every time at least once!!!!! Thats just me though!
And remember, only you know you're limitations! don't try to be a rock star out there, if it does'nt feel right or safe, don't do it! push yourself a little, just don't over do it until you are comfortable...
You're Jeep will be way more capable than you think it is. probably more than you will need right away!!!
Have fun, get dirty, and be safe!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Ok cool, I sure appretiate everyones input. I cant wait to do this and have some fun.

Quick Reply: First trip with my jeep