Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Which gear in sand?

Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by muddpuppy01
oil and oil filter changes air filter changes making sure its at it peak just basic routine maintance
Yup thats takin care off. Its just that i lack experiencea and never owned a vehicle too long too see how the engine holds up stuff with time and how much i cn push it to its limit.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Went sand driving today. About a 20 mile area of sand pits, hills up to 300 feet. Took your advice and tried 4lo and 3rd gear. Worked great. Had to take one hill in 4lo and 4th. I just naturally assumed before that 4hi was better but I really like the 4lo and a higher gear option.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I think alot of people think that way. They just automatically think that HI range is for going fast and LO range is for going slow.

That might be true 80% of the time, but there are exceptions to every rule. Sometimes, it's good to learn other ways of doing the same thing. It's all about options. I don't think I'd have ever realized it either if I wasn't so analytical about everything. There's just a part of me that wants to know why and how something works/happens the way it does. I do not like to do things just "because".
Old 06-22-2008, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
4200 is max? what if i push it too more when i accelerate? like 5500 b4 the redline? and umm do we have a limiter like if u rev it up too max will it rev and let go and rev and let go and rev?
4200 is max torque RPM's. Max HP is higher. You were asking about long term revs, and what was safe. Off road RPMs should be between 2+ and 42 in a stick. There are lots of variables but wise use of Rr's and gears will get you about anywhere.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by flyer415
Went sand driving today. About a 20 mile area of sand pits, hills up to 300 feet. Took your advice and tried 4lo and 3rd gear. Worked great. Had to take one hill in 4lo and 4th. I just naturally assumed before that 4hi was better but I really like the 4lo and a higher gear option.

Thanks for the info.
I havnt tried 4lo yet in sand. I think i will have to try it out. Thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 04:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CIJeep
4200 is max torque RPM's. Max HP is higher. You were asking about long term revs, and what was safe. Off road RPMs should be between 2+ and 42 in a stick. There are lots of variables but wise use of Rr's and gears will get you about anywhere.
Il try out 4lo and maybe my prob will be solved. The jeep bogs down alot in 4hi i hope this will fix it.

Quick Reply: Which gear in sand?