Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Getting stuck in water?

Old 05-26-2008, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
As a general rule, I don't drive my brand new Jeep in water so deep it runs in under the door.
me neither, I wait till its a few months old

MARTI if you are already getting into such deep water/mud you best get a snorkel unless you want to be getting a new engine there have been quite a few jk's on here that have hydrolocked their engine and it aint cheap
Old 05-26-2008, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by martij3
I have another question. I was driving through a puddle of water and the splash caused the engine to shut off. I checked the air filter box to make sure no water was in there. I let it sit for about five minutes and it started up with no problems.
Is there something else I should check besides the air filter, or did I even need to check the air filter? Also what most likely caused the engine to cut off?
It could be unrelated to the puddle. There was a recall a few months back on JK's, concerning the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) Seems certain driving conditions could cause the Jeep to completely die (including electrical). I was going over some RR tracks and it died on me... again when towing a trailer. A few seconds later it roared back to life like nothing happened. Check with your local Jeep dealer to see if your Jeep falls under the recall.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Talking

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
As a general rule, I don't drive my brand new Jeep in water so deep it runs in under the door.
Same here... I waited at least 3 weeks....

Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 PM
JK Newbie

I will stay out of the water until I can get a snorkel.

I drove on the side of the stock tank three times before without any problems, the fourth time I fell into a big rut and I also had the Jeep in 4Hi.

I won't be trying stuff like that without an experianced trail guide next time.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:20 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
being that this is my 9th wrangler i like to think i've learned some things.

NOTHING kills an interior faster than water/mud. bottom line. once it's been underwater or covered in mud, you'll never get it back to where it was.

I'll bypass the deep holes and use a trail rig on those. It's just sorta how i am. I usually have 2 jeeps (just sold my YJ7) and there's no sense in destroying my daily driver.

i still wheel it, i think anyone that's wheeled with me can attest to that. I'm not afraid of breaking it. But as i've become more experienced i've changed the way i do things.

Yeah, you seem to get where I was going. No sense in trying to tear it up.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

take my word from experience, when the tranny is touching the water on a manual do not hit the clutch. i made this mistake and ended up replacing my clutch and pressure plate. i was told after getting towed out by the dealership that the clutch creates enough of a vaccum to suck water / mud / sand up and into the housing itself. use 4 low in 1st if you get stuck in a manual underwater.
now with starting in water im pretty sure its just the intake you have to worry about.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by csorensen
Also remember to consider where your diff breathers are. If they were submerged (shouldn't be an issue on JK, unless it's over 30 inches deep) you may have sucked a small amount of water into the differentials. You should check them after being stuck in water.
ok, i am not new to wheelin, but i can't figure out this JK, neither can the dealer. i died going thru a good amount of water, dealer replaced the fuel pump, jeep is running, but now hesitates...
the QUESTION: if water got into the diffs, would that make the vehicle hesitate or jerk while driving? it does it all the time, in any gear, at every rpm. the dealer had my baby for three days, three different people drove it, and two mechanics worked on it. i have been meaning to change the diff fluid, but haven't done it yet. ALSO, the air filter was wet. i dried it out but again need to replace it, just haven't done it yet. once an air filter gets wet, is it garbage?
CLUTCH: could it be the clutch? it doesn't slip. i read the above post re: sand/water/mud into clutch while submerged in water(which i was when she died on me).
thanx

Last edited by MI MudBoss; 05-28-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 05-28-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MI MudBoss
ok, i am not new to wheelin, but i can't figure out this JK, neither can the dealer. i died going thru a good amount of water, dealer replaced the fuel pump, jeep is running, but now hesitates...
the QUESTION: if water got into the diffs, would that make the vehicle hesitate or jerk while driving? it does it all the time, in any gear, at every rpm. the dealer had my baby for three days, three different people drove it, and two mechanics worked on it. i have been meaning to change the diff fluid, but haven't done it yet. ALSO, the air filter was wet. i dried it out but again need to replace it, just haven't done it yet. once an air filter gets wet, is it garbage?
thanx
SO Boss the first time wasnt enough? I remember you had trouble once before after going thru some water, GET A SNORKEL

Now water in the diffs wouldnt make your jeep do what its doing. Is this the 2nd replaced fuel filter? Airfilter wet = bad.....if you didnt actually get water in your engine maybe its the map sensor?? I think thats the first one when the air goes in, crap its some sensor that I've seen some say if it gets a splash its ruined, I think they mentioned it from your thread back when you were stuck away from home. Its pretty scary their mechanics cant figure it out

Yes you should chuck that filter and maybe you should buy 2keep one for spare if you get it wet again while you are wheeling you dont want to keep wheeling with that one in or drive home, so switch to #2 and go get the damn snorkel. Good luck
Old 05-29-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

thanx TKOB. no, this is still from the attica trip. i will replace the air filter and let you all know what the outcome is. why wouldn't the darn dealer know if the sensor was bad? should i point them in that direction w/out telling them i had the entire airbox filled with water?
once is NEVER enough
Old 05-29-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MI MudBoss
thanx TKOB. no, this is still from the attica trip. i will replace the air filter and let you all know what the outcome is. why wouldn't the darn dealer know if the sensor was bad? should i point them in that direction w/out telling them i had the entire airbox filled with water?
once is NEVER enough
your entire airbox was filled with water? I cant believe your jeep didnt hydrolock WOW.....and all they did was replace the fuel filter since then? How many times have you had it back to them?

Quick Reply: Getting stuck in water?