Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Going downhill offroad JK

Old 06-09-2008, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going downhill offroad JK

I drove a jeep a few years back at Jeep 101. One of the things they demoed was going up and over a large hill. On the way down the jeep was controlled and crawled down slowly on its own. I tried this in my 2007 JK X the other day and that wasn't the case. I ended up having to brake all the way down.

I don't know a ton about cars so not too much ridicule if this is a stupid question, but what do you all think would be the difference and what made that other jeep crawl down so controlled. It was a stock jeep. Is there something I can mod on mine to make it crawl down like that?

Old 06-09-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

were you in 4lo?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I was. I shifted into 4 wheel low, but then a few days later found out that I had broken this disc that threads the cable on the shifter. I wonder if it didn't go into 4wl and was maybe stuck in 4wh
Old 06-09-2008, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

i'm sure you were in 4hi. being in 4lo will result in very little if any breaking.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

yeah, sounds like you never made it to 4lo.

Try again once you're repaired.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I went to show my buddy who drives an FJ how it goes downhill and it just went like a mad truck downhill. I told him that isn't how it happened on my old jeep and the last one I drove.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kewl, will do. Had it repaired already. I will take it back out and give it a go. Thanks for the fast replies.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would also think that you want to be in the lowest gear possible. Mine is a standard so i leave it in 1st as well and let the engine compression do the braking. If your's is an auto then I would think that you would want to shift into L1 as well. (Not quite sure what the readings are on the auto)
Old 06-09-2008, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, it is an auto. When taking it offroad you are saying I should shift out of regular drive?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dprichard
Yeah, it is an auto. When taking it offroad you are saying I should shift out of regular drive?
When going downhill I would put an Auto out of regular drive and put it in a low gear...Yes.

Most people drive their autos in D continuously. The other gears are available and should be used. In this situation I would definitely use L1 or whatever it is labeled for going downhill.

Are there other times that I would use D3 or L2...yes. Whenever I towed something like a boat at the max weight I would start in a lower gear and shift up while I was driving/cruising.

I have standard trucks and jeeps so I have never offroaded with an auto so no response from me on if you should do it as a default measure.

My initial response is really regarding going downhill. Engine compression works great.

Quick Reply: Going downhill offroad JK