Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

going on the rubicon next month

Old 06-21-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bsolt, I'm going on Thursday in my new Rubicon Unlimited. I really, really want to avoid damaging her if I can just like you, I'm sure. I'm having all the Rockhard skids fitted on Tuesday and the EVAP cannister relocated. Other than that, I don't think there's much else you can do to protect her from damage. I wish you good luck and most important of all; lots of enjoyment!
Old 06-21-2008, 09:29 PM
JK Freak

Seems to me that if you install all the skid plates you can and good rock rails, the damage should then be limited to fender flares. Those are designed to rip off, and can be easily replaced or reattached. That is unless you lay her on her side, roll her over completely...or try to fit that size 12 foot in a size 11 shoe, if you get my drift.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
Seems to me that if you install all the skid plates you can and good rock rails, the damage should then be limited to fender flares. Those are designed to rip off, and can be easily replaced or reattached. That is unless you lay her on her side, roll her over completely...or try to fit that size 12 foot in a size 11 shoe, if you get my drift.

There needs to be a huge tube of Astraglide at regular intervals along tight and narrow trails,....

You'll love the Rockhard sliders. They're beasts. And you'll appreciate the hi-lift sites on them, I'm sure. Realize that the angle on the bottom of the slider can tend to push you to the opposite side as you slide over the rocks. You might get pushed into another rock or tree unexpectedly (or now, not so unexpectedly).

Camera, video, log book,... take it all!

And have a blast!

Edit,...

Here's what I mean aout the angling on the bottom of the slider and note the hi-lift slot,...

Last edited by mmcan; 06-22-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys!! Alright, I have been on the Rubicon three times now, and it is by far the SICKEST trail i have ever been on. I have a 4.5" lift as listed below and have scrapped my bumper and slid into a few rocks which did nothing to my warn bumpers. The lift is a must, and I would not recommend taking your rig on the rubicon stock!!!!!! Unless you dont mind dents, on a 4 door you are going to get hung up on some spots and getting around other spots on the trail is going to take some good spotting. I will post pics as soon as i can, I took pictures with my dads camera when we went out so i will get the shots in a few days.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bsolt, I managed to complete the entire Rubicon Trail (minus Little Sluice) without damage. You definitely need skid plates and I would recommend upgrading to good rock sliders. Mine has a 2.75" lift and 35" tires which comes in handy but see no reason why you won't be able to do it on 32" ones.

The main reason why I didn't get any damage was because in the group I had an excellent spotter who really knows the trail well and knows off-roading. I simply followed his instruction.

Lots of pics on my web site.

Go for it and have fun!
Old 07-01-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just added some good pictures you may want to have a look at...

http://www.j33per.com/Rubicon%20Trai...20I/index.html
http://www.j33per.com/Rubicon%20Trai...0II/index.html
Old 07-01-2008, 11:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by j33per

Excellent pics! Looks like a blast...I can't wait to bang this trail out in my 2 dr!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd agree with those that say skid plates, rock sliders, and a good spotter will get you through with little or no damage. One more suggestion, leave the beer/booze in the ice chest till you get to camp. Good decision making is a must. I was in a couple of times last year and found the Rubicon rock rails to work very well.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the info and great pics. i think im going to hold off until i get my lift on. im not sure if i should wait for the teraflex 6 inch or to go for the 4 inch long arm.

Quick Reply: going on the rubicon next month