Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

HELP!! ... Suspension lift for a 2016 Wrangler.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! ... Suspension lift for a 2016 Wrangler.

Hello Wrangler friends! I am in the process of ordering a 2016 Jeep Wrangler from a dealership. I have never owned a Jeep before, although I have owned lifted trucks in the past and I am having trouble making sense of some things. Here are my main questions:

1) If I have a suspension lift put on, will it void the factory warranty at all? I have heard different things ranging from 'Yes, it will void the whole warranty' to 'No, as long as it does not cause the problem that is being fixed under warranty, it will be fine.' Is there a truth??
2) Can people recommend which brand of suspension lift they prefer, or which is best? I am thinking about a 3", 4", or 5" lift.
3) I live in Dallas, TX. Can anyone recommend a place to go to have the lift put on? My initial thought is 4 Wheel Parts, but are they good/the best?
4) Can anyone recommend a brand of tires that is the best? I need All Terrains because this will also be my daily driver on the highway. I am thinking either 33" or 35" tires. Should I get 17" or 18" rims? Help!

I think those are my main questions for now, thanks so much for any knowledge/advice you can throw my way!!
Old 08-18-2015, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Dallas here also. Baertrax off-road is the best of the best in Dallas. A lift won't void your warranty unless it's so big it causes premature failures they have to prove. You only need a 2.5 lift and flat fenders or 3 inch lift with stick fenders for 35 inch tires with aftermarket rims. I have 2009 with a 4.5 lift with 37's, and my lifetime warranty inspection at 5 years last year was simple and passed. I have done The trails up in Moab and Telluride with no issues. My only regret; just doing a smaller lift with same tires. Going so high causes you to buy more parts to fix the geometry.

Great 2.5 and 3 lifts are Rock Krawler, Metal Cloak and Synergy.

Cloak and Synergy
Old 08-18-2015, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're Just starting out.......................

Get a Teraflex 2.5"budget boost and install it yourself. It's cheap, easy to install,will clear 35" tires,performs reasonably well, and its easy to resale if you ever decide to go bigger.

33's won't need a re-gear but 35's might.

Get 17 rims as there are plenty of tire and wheel choices in that size and the prices are reasonable

Try Northridge 4X4 for your parts and Discount Tire Direct for your tires and rims.

And use the search function.
JK's are now in their tenth year of production. Your questions have been answered a Zillion times. Good Luck

edit: Make sure if you are ordering your get the gear ratio upgrade

Last edited by LidLess07X; 08-18-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

I'm looking for a lift myself,done alot of research. check out AEV lifts a little expensive, but have not read any bad reveiws on them, maybe metal cloak.
I'm going with the AEV 3.5" RC lift. a lot to choose from on the market, really depends on what you want to do with your jeep, DD,RC,mudder,trails or a little of evertyhing
Old 08-18-2015, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you everyone!! I do apologize for the duplicate questions. I am still figuring out this whole forum thing too, and clearly I am not so great! Yikes, I promise I will get better once I get my Jeep!! BuckLisa ~ Thank you for the Dallas suggestion!! I will give them a call tomorrow and see if they can help me with the brands you mentioned.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

I started with a Teraflex BB and it worked fine for basic trails but when I went to anything a little technical it had it's limits. I upgraded to a RE 2.5" lift w/shocks and it has been great. I'm running 33's now but 35s will be going on after these wear out.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

see red link at bottom.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
If you're Just starting out....................... Get a Teraflex 2.5"budget boost and install it yourself. It's cheap, easy to install,will clear 35" tires,performs reasonably well, and its easy to resale if you ever decide to go bigger. 33's won't need a re-gear but 35's might. Get 17 rims as there are plenty of tire and wheel choices in that size and the prices are reasonable Try Northridge 4X4 for your parts and Discount Tire Direct for your tires and rims. And use the search function. JK's are now in their tenth year of production. Your questions have been answered a Zillion times. Good Luck edit: Make sure if you are ordering your get the gear ratio upgrade
JK's came out in 2007
Old 08-24-2015, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MiniBrew
Hello Wrangler friends! I am in the process of ordering a 2016 Jeep Wrangler from a dealership. I have never owned a Jeep before, although I have owned lifted trucks in the past and I am having trouble making sense of some things. Here are my main questions:

1) If I have a suspension lift put on, will it void the factory warranty at all? I have heard different things ranging from 'Yes, it will void the whole warranty' to 'No, as long as it does not cause the problem that is being fixed under warranty, it will be fine.' Is there a truth?? No lift will EVER void your factory warranty except for the parts you are replacing. Warranty work can be denied by the dealership if they can prove that your installed aftermarket parts caused the failure. There are a couple of mod-friendly dealers in teh DFW metroplex, though. I've had pretty good luck with Frisco and lots of people go to Alliance on 35W. Both are sponsors of a couple of local Jeep clubs.
2) Can people recommend which brand of suspension lift they prefer, or which is best? I am thinking about a 3", 4", or 5" lift. The best answer here is lift as little as possible. Just enough to clear the size tires you want to install without issue. Read Dirtman's thread for sure, but the idea is basically to keep the cengert of gravity (COG) as low as possible to provide stability both on-road and off. This will also help prevent roll-overs, which if you're driving properly shouldn't be an issue anyway. Food for thought....you can fit 37" tires with a 2.5 lift and flat fender flares. Catch me at Cars & Coffee next month (1st Saturday every month @ Classic BMCW Plano) and I'll show you.
3) I live in Dallas, TX. Can anyone recommend a place to go to have the lift put on? My initial thought is 4 Wheel Parts, but are they good/the best?4WP can definitely get your lift installed for you but there are other noteable shops in the area. Baertrax has already been mentioned and althougth I've only had c-gussets installed there, I've got fellow Jeepers that will only take their rigs there. Another good one in DFW is Tribe 4x4. Both area great shops and sponsors of the local Jeep clubs. Honestly, though, if you're installing bolt-on parts (including control arms), this can all be done in your (or someone else's) garage with a few hand and power tools. Installing your own lift also helps you understand how it all works together and allows you to learn how to get your Jeep back on the road should you break on the trail. At any given time you should be able to find a local wrench part quite easliy. If you don't already see one, post up in the Texas thread and ask. Usually most of us will come help for the cost of a couple beers and maybe lunch. Hell...I generally work for free myself just because it's something fun.
4) Can anyone recommend a brand of tires that is the best? I need All Terrains because this will also be my daily driver on the highway. I am thinking either 33" or 35" tires. Should I get 17" or 18" rims? Help! I've had great luck with Nitto rubber myself. If you want A/T's, the Nitto Terra Grapplers are a good tire. But don't be afraid to run mud terrains. There are some out there that provide a good balance of on and off-road performance. The Nitto Trail Grappler is a favorite for that very reason. Great off-road traction, not as noisy as other mud terrains, great wear (I've got about 43k on my 37's), and not overly expensive. Just depends on what you're really looking for. Lots of people like the Goodyear DuraTrac's, too, although I'm not personally a fan of Goodyear rubber myself. Toyo is anotehr good brand (same as Nitto) but pretty pricey.

I think those are my main questions for now, thanks so much for any knowledge/advice you can throw my way!!
First of all.....welcome to the Dark Side from a fellow North Texan (Denton)! Be prepared to empty your pockets every chance you get and enjoy the fruits of spending your hard earned money. Jeeps are like no other!

I've attempted to asnwer each of your questions above in yellow. Hope it helps!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JBurner
JK's came out in 2007
They sure did. I bought one of the first ones in Maryland way back then.

07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 = 10

Last edited by LidLess07X; 08-24-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP!! ... Suspension lift for a 2016 Wrangler.