JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   How to detach recovery straps from themselves (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/how-detach-recovery-straps-themselves-307606/)

NYGator 07-20-2014 03:10 PM

How to detach recovery straps from themselves

2 Attachment(s)
So I was out riding the trails today and found a nice open area with a decent mud pit. Long story short, I got a bit ****y and ended up getting stuck right in the middle of it. I had to use four tow straps (two Smittybuilt, and two unknown) looped together to get enough length so the other driver could pull me out.

We had to do about 10 pulls before I was finally freed from the sticky, muddy abyss. Well now that there was so much tension on the straps it's impossible to un-loop them from each other.

Does anyone have any tips to get them apart?

Attachment 566533

Attachment 566534

P.S. I found out about the wooden dowel trick afterwards, so I know what to do next time. If I can't figure out a trick to unstick them, looks like I'll be stuck with an 80' strap...

Extremeskier99 07-20-2014 03:42 PM

I had the same thing happen, a friend said to soak them in water. I was skeptical, but we put the knot in a bucket of water and they came right apart after soaking for a while.

NYGator 07-20-2014 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Extremeskier99 (Post 3953044)
I had the same thing happen, a friend said to soak them in water. I was skeptical, but we put the knot in a bucket of water and they came right apart after soaking for a while.

Thanks. That's what I'm trying right now. Been soaking for a few hours. I'll probably leave them overnight and try them again tomorrow. Did you add soap or detergent or anything to the water? Would fabric softener do anything?

ScubaSteve913 07-20-2014 04:13 PM

where at in florida? Im in oldsmar

NYGator 07-20-2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve913 (Post 3953067)
where at in florida? Im in oldsmar

Tampa. Got any favorite trails in the area?

ScubaSteve913 07-20-2014 05:09 PM

nothing "Legal" around here. I usually head up north to Inverness or Croom or Citrus

Extremeskier99 07-20-2014 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by NYGator (Post 3953064)
Thanks. That's what I'm trying right now. Been soaking for a few hours. I'll probably leave them overnight and try them again tomorrow. Did you add soap or detergent or anything to the water? Would fabric softener do anything?

I don't remember adding anything, I'm pretty sure just water. Happened a few years ago, learned my lesson on connecting tow straps together the wrong way, lol.

SKTN Rubi 07-24-2014 02:54 PM

Rolled up newspaper works the same as a dowel.

Try squishing the knot in a bench vise might work it enough to loosen a little to get a pry rod in there.

Sent from my recliner

Gforce! 08-05-2014 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Extremeskier99 (Post 3953113)
I don't remember adding anything, I'm pretty sure just water. Happened a few years ago, learned my lesson on connecting tow straps together the wrong way, lol.

Then, what is the right way? I thought you weren't supposed to connect them at all...

Dirt Racer 35 08-05-2014 02:00 PM

fabric softener will lower the surface tension of the water which may allow the water the travel more freely into the straps. I would say leave it how it is and try. if you have no luck try again with the softener tomorrow night.