Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

How to use a recovery strap?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to use a recovery strap?

I purchased the Rugged Ridge Recovery Kit which contains a 2" x 30' 20,000lb recovery strap.

Is this recover strap a vehicle to vehicle pull strap or an extension strap for the winch when I need extra reach? If it is for vehicle to vehicle, do I use it like a snap strap or slowly put pressure on it and pull?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guardguy
I purchased the Rugged Ridge Recovery Kit which contains a 2" x 30' 20,000lb recovery strap.

Is this recover strap a vehicle to vehicle pull strap or an extension strap for the winch when I need extra reach? If it is for vehicle to vehicle, do I use it like a snap strap or slowly put pressure on it and pull?
It is for pulling vehicles. Its not a winch extension.... Slowly put pressure on it and pull....
Old 12-30-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OverlandJKU

It is for pulling vehicles. Its not a winch extension.... Slowly put pressure on it and pull....
I get that it's not a winch extension, but is there any reason why you wouldn't want to use it that way? Seems like you could strap anything on a winch to extend it so long as it can hold the load of what you're pulling.

Ps. Just got my winch. Never used one. My question is as much about gaining knowledge so I can use it safely and without damaging anything.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Google "winching 101" there is one site that has a bunch of really good training videos with everything from straps to snatch blocks.

Donnie
Old 12-30-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tow straps are very convenient when you are with other jeeps. Most people have D-rings on their bumpers to hook the strap to. If you don't, it would be a good idea to get some. If you get stuck, it makes it much easier to hook up the strap and pull out. The winch comes in handy if you are alone or too stuck for another jeep to pull you out. If you are using a winch, you can hook to another jeep, or to a tree. If you got the kit, you should have tree strap to limit the damage that could be done to the tree.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I figured it was for pulling a Jeep with another Jeep but I questioned that a little bit since it came with a winch recover kit. I have 90 feet of line and that should reach anywhere I need around here even with a double line pull.

I guess I can retire my old snatch strap now.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

The beauty of the strap is its versatility. You can use is as an extension for your winch, direct pull of another vehicle or wrap around a tree to protect the tree and your wire/ synthetic rope.

Be careful though and watch the strap for wear and replace as needed. I wouldn't throw out the snatch strap though as they are good too for their "spring" action.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Guardguy
Thanks guys. I figured it was for pulling a Jeep with another Jeep but I questioned that a little bit since it came with a winch recover kit. I have 90 feet of line and that should reach anywhere I need around here even with a double line pull.

I guess I can retire my old snatch strap now.
Right...first time I got stuck 1. I was alone 2. I had 100' winch line, 30' snatch strap and 8' tree saver 3. There wasn't a ancor point within 140' of me!

Donnie
Old 12-30-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an XHD front bumper with the built in D-rings. These D-rings have bolts with lock nuts and are very difficult to open unlike standard D-rings. How do I hook up to it? Do I use a regular D-ring or loop the tow strap through itself?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reasoning behind not using a typical snatch strap as an anchor point is because of the elastic effect they have. They stretch under load, if failure occurs, not only is your winch line going to recoil, you will have a big ass rubber band effect to help it remove important things.
I had someone tell me a story about a cable breaking, removing an eye and ear from his close friend.

All that being said I still use the hell out of mine.

Quick Reply: How to use a recovery strap?