Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

List of socket sizes and torx sizes and other tools for trail fixes

Old 10-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Dax
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of socket sizes and torx sizes and other tools for trail fixes

All,

May or may not be the right sub-forum for this, but I've searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Basically I want a trail tool box that can have all the sizes needed for trail repairs, but not contain ALL sizes. I'm already building a pig, so I'm always trying to cut any weight I need. I carried air tools with my old rig and want to do the same on the Jeep.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Like a special huge socket size to remove a broken part to get you off the trail.

I have a 2014 JKUR.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Dax
All,

May or may not be the right sub-forum for this, but I've searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Basically I want a trail tool box that can have all the sizes needed for trail repairs, but not contain ALL sizes. I'm already building a pig, so I'm always trying to cut any weight I need. I carried air tools with my old rig and want to do the same on the Jeep.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Like a special huge socket size to remove a broken part to get you off the trail.

I have a 2014 JKUR.
There are a couple threads on this. But, regardless, it will depend on how a Jeep is modded. That is, those of us who actually take our Jeeps off-road have parts from lots of different manufacturers. So, short of compiling such a list yourself, and being diligent about updating it as you mod, the best answer is to be smart about tools. For example, don't carry a full range of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 sockets, but one of each size with wrench adapters for smaller wrenches. Etc. Besides, limiting by yourself to exactly what you need may become an issue when a trail buddy is depending on you to carry tools while he carries jackstands and fluids, or some such. This gets even more problematic if you wheel with other mfgs/models of vehicles.

Edit: Oh, and here's a perfect example of the problem I cite: JKs use either a 35 or 36 mm front axle nut. That isn't saying I'm not sure. That is saying no one is sure until they actually check. I know of one case where one axle was 35 and the other side was 36!

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Dax
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There are a couple threads on this. But, regardless, it will depend on how a Jeep is modded. That is, those of us who actually take our Jeeps off-road have parts from lots of different manufacturers. So, short of compiling such a list yourself, and being diligent about updating it as you mod, the best answer is to be smart about tools. For example, don't carry a full range of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 sockets, but one of each size with wrench adapters for smaller wrenches. Etc. Besides, limiting by yourself to exactly what you need may become an issue when a trail buddy is depending on you to carry tools while he carries jackstands and fluids, or some such. This gets even more problematic if you wheel with other mfgs/models of vehicles.

Edit: Oh, and here's a perfect example of the problem I cite: JKs use either a 35 or 36 mm front axle nut. That isn't saying I'm not sure. That is saying no one is sure until they actually check. I know of one case where one axle was 35 and the other side was 36!
Okay, note taken for sure on aftermarket mods, but was looking for a stock list that I could modify. I've been marking the ones I've needed to install my lift and aftermarket parts, but so far, they still use factory sizes for a JKUR. If they vary, that is bonkers!

I guess I can go through all the major pieces and shorten from there. Was just hoping to not waste time if one existed.

Quick Reply: List of socket sizes and torx sizes and other tools for trail fixes