Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Manual or Auto input

Old 07-04-2015, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual or Auto input

Newbie to the forum, lurked on the site for some time and at jeeps as well. Wasn't sure where to post this (moderators move if needed) and my searches didn't specifics and if you know of a thread please point me in the right direction. Yes currently I do not own a jeep, but always on my radar. Hoping other Jk owners can enlighten me with your trans choice and how it has affected your TRAIL experience. I'm blown away at the plethora of vids posted on say youtube, jeeps on slickrock and rockclimbing and they appear to auto's, from Moab or Black Bear trail. On technical trails is an auto more the norm now? In the past I've owned 4wd trucks both auto and manual but my offroading was never that technical. My initial thought is to always go with manual. With some of the extreme angles do the autos experience any pump issues?
Old 07-04-2015, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by vfr350
Newbie to the forum, lurked on the site for some time and at jeeps as well. Wasn't sure where to post this (moderators move if needed) and my searches didn't specifics and if you know of a thread please point me in the right direction. Yes currently I do not own a jeep, but always on my radar. Hoping other Jk owners can enlighten me with your trans choice and how it has affected your TRAIL experience. I'm blown away at the plethora of vids posted on say youtube, jeeps on slickrock and rockclimbing and they appear to auto's, from Moab or Black Bear trail. On technical trails is an auto more the norm now? In the past I've owned 4wd trucks both auto and manual but my offroading was never that technical. My initial thought is to always go with manual. With some of the extreme angles do the autos experience any pump issues?
This is a very touchy topic that's going to cause arguments. I've had both stick and auto jeeps and off road I find the autos to be better. IMHO
Old 07-04-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I like stick. Been driving them almost exclusively for 50 years. They are lots more fun. Off road, I'm sure autos are easier. But if you want easy, just take the bypass. ;-)
Old 07-04-2015, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

yeah not looking to start a thread war for sure, but yet i would like to hear some opinions. the majority of my vehicles have been stick so i say i like it. i could see an auto being a bit more laid back in driving on trails, or having less to do when concetration is needed. does it seem like one is easier on parts at all? purely from a trail standpoint.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Love my auto IMO. One benefit is the programmers now (example my SuperChips traildash) can adjust shift points
Old 07-05-2015, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Manual: more fun (more challenging)
Auto: easier in harder areas

My jk is an automatic and honestly I regret it. I drive my manual 80's Toyota and I kick my self for getting an auto jeep every time i drive it. A manual makes the easier trails more fun and more challenging. It really just comes down to personal preference.

Last edited by GreatWhite JK; 07-05-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Off road, I'm sure autos are easier. But if you want easy, just take the bypass. ;-)
I'm sure you don't have lockers or 35s ether......
Old 07-05-2015, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my Auto, and my Manual is the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned. I'll be ordering a Shelby GT350 with a Manual, but will never buy another Jeep Manual.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150624_131136.jpg
Views:	1022
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	617069
Old 07-05-2015, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

I have had both. IMO on road, I prefer manual. Lots more fun and control of how the vehicle is performing. Off-road, I prefer auto. I have owned (and still do own) many manual vehicles, but I feel that my auto allows me to perform better in technical situations off-road.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

The chicken or the egg question. Well it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. Test drive both. I'm a stick guy, yes some things can be more challenging at times by like Mark said "take the bypass". Also these days with a stick it's probably the best anti theft device out there!

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto input