Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Manual or Auto input

Old 07-14-2015, 05:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditched my manual sport Friday and for a Auto 2015 JKUR.

Couldn't be happier.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150712_170157.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	617879
Old 07-14-2015, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I drove a truck for years. I mean a big truck. When I climbed away from a 13 speed for the last time, I decided that there was no reason that I would ever need to drive a stick again. I almost bought when in a mustang, but I decided to get a jeep instead.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've really enjoy having a manual trans. Better or worse, you'll find zillions of threads with the benefits and drawbacks of each type of transmission. Personally I'm a better driver off-road with a stick because it's what I'm used to and it works well for me.

I still have my manual Jeep. I also own a full-size truck now and an auto was the only option. I love the truck, but re-adjusting to driving an automatic (for the first time in many years!) has been tough. It feels weird to just put my foot down and steer, and let it do its thing.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some good points, although I never had a issue with my clutch in mud (even though I had to crawl out the back slider to get pulled out, headlights were under water), being able to idle in gear was nice, but an increase in tire size on an auto made it shift like a turd (chipped it back in the day, helped but not a cure for sure) maybe the modern handheld programers are a bit better. The deciding factor may be since the plan would be to do an LS engine swap most packages seem to be for autos. If I stayed in stock trim I have yet to really find a post that convinces to NOT get a manual....
Old 07-20-2015, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Bought a manual a few months ago. Could not be happier. Go manual.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Either is a good choice. It will just depend on your driving skills and where you are more comfortable with.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Just my opinion...

Auto's is definitely a better tool for the job. It will allow you to focus on the problem at hand and you can flip from drive to reverse pretty quickly these days. Also, the new transmission allows you to pick a gear. So, many of the arguments for a stick are gone.

Manual is tougher. This is why I like it. It adds an additional dimension to the challenge. This dimension impacts your how you approach the problem. It also adds additional risk should you stall at an inappropriate time.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

i've seen a few clips where drivers were fast enough to slam reverse to prevent a roll which is impressive, prob easier w auto. i could see my skill set more inline with a manual on the trail, auto might give me a set of false balls in trying things i maybe shouldn't. it would be cool to go west and rent one of each for a day on the trails. its certainly not my manual skills i doubt, but just the shear volume of what seems to be auto's now go me wondering if a mechnical advantage had turned.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just look at the pros and cons for both and decide for yourself. To me, it's not a true jeep if it isn't a stick. I learned to drive stick on a 4speed CJ so that shaky stick is what I've come to love. Its sad that manuals are becoming so rare now. When I was looking for a new vehicle I was between getting a truck or a jeep. I can't think of any trucks that provide the option to be a badass and that kinda sucks. Here's how I evaluate the argument:

Auto

Pros:
  • Easier to drive on trails and on road
  • Smoother ride on rode due to smoother shifts
  • Allows you to ride bitch while your lady drives your jeep for you

Cons:
  • More expensive
  • 'Boring' drive
  • When regearing for bigger tires you need a higher gear ratio
  • Having to say "Nah, its an Auto." Then adding one of the following: No I can't drive a stick. Yea, I should have gotten a stick. or My lady can't drive a stick - basically saying it's her jeep

Manual

Pros:
  • Ability to select what gear you're in at any time
  • Better gas mileage
  • Cheaper
  • Theft prevention (most car jackers in the US can't drive stick lol)
  • If your girl can drive it, you know she's a bad bitch
  • Oh, you can't drive a stick? I can teach you after our date

Cons:
  • Mud can get on the clutch plate, but just don't shift when in mud
  • No one can ever be your DD if you've had too much to drink
  • Need to pay more attention when driving in general
Old 07-23-2015, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

I've had automatics and manual. Loved the automatics for the ease at which you can attack a trail. But that's also the downside. I thoroughly enjoy the complicated nature of the manual transmission. I feel More connected to the jeep and more importantly the trail. Good luck and I hope you join us on the trails in a jeep soon!

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto input