Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Manual or Auto input

Old 11-26-2016, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an auto and really really wish I would've got a manual. My next Wrangler is definitely gonna be a manual. Just more fun on the pavement and since my jk is a daily driver it's worth it to me. Off road will be a little more challenging in some cases but no biggie I mean my wife is challenging sometimes also lol.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I went with a manual on my Rubicon. Much more fun to drive. The JK 6 speed definitely isn't the greatest gearbox out there. Is somewhat clunky. But I enjoy the control. Also, takes much more skill to wheel a manual, although hill assist does help somewhat.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vfr350
Newbie to the forum, lurked on the site for some time and at jeeps as well. Wasn't sure where to post this (moderators move if needed) and my searches didn't specifics and if you know of a thread please point me in the right direction. Yes currently I do not own a jeep, but always on my radar. Hoping other Jk owners can enlighten me with your trans choice and how it has affected your TRAIL experience. I'm blown away at the plethora of vids posted on say youtube, jeeps on slickrock and rockclimbing and they appear to auto's, from Moab or Black Bear trail. On technical trails is an auto more the norm now? In the past I've owned 4wd trucks both auto and manual but my offroading was never that technical. My initial thought is to always go with manual. With some of the extreme angles do the autos experience any pump issues?
I have a manual on my '14 JK and use it off road regularly. I have had manuals on virtually every vehicle for over 44 years. That being said, I would caution people that a manual for off road usage is not always the best tool. The issue is the crawl rate for some manuals is to fast for technical terrain. This means that the driver will have to slip the clutch almost continuously causing excessive clutch wear and a multitude of embarrassing and sometimes dangerous stalls. This problem is amplified if you install larger diameter tires (increasing the crawl speed) that are needed for technical terrain. I am currently running 3.21 axels running through the standard transfer case using the 6 speed manual. Even in 4low my crawl speed is around 4mph which is way too fast for technical terrain. I will likely change my axle ratio to 4.88 or even 5.13 sometime in the future.

Bottom line is that manuals are fine for technical terrain as long as you have a sufficiently slow enough crawl rate.

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto input