Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

mud advice for new guy

Old 03-23-2011, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mud advice for new guy

I learning so bare with me, Just got a 2010 unlimited sport. The local trails here are flat, 3/4 of soft sand and 1/4 mud. I first used 4 hi in drive, worked great. Than I read a story about trans overheating so I used 4 low. I really don't know which is better. I know 4 lo for rocks, and such but here it is FLAT. I read you should keep the a/c on so the fan will stay on. good idea? Some say 4 hi and leave esp on? Just some basic advice to get me started. Thanks

Last edited by jonb1032; 03-23-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-23-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have a manual dont shift in the mud!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Here is the secret password to turn ESP off in 4hi (the way it goes off in 4lo): shift to 4hi, press the traction control button and hold it and just wait. The dash will ding at you and tell you that ESP is now off. Now the computer won't screw with your tire spin quite as much.

Advice on the mud- stay away from it. It leads to breaking things and is a pain to clean out of all of the crevices you will inevitably get it into.
Great Advice!
Old 03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Advice on the mud- stay away from it. It leads to breaking things and is a pain to clean out of all of the crevices you will inevitably get it into. [/QUOTE]

Agreed!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonb1032
I learning so bare with me, Just got a 2010 unlimited sport. The local trails here are flat, 3/4 of soft sand and 1/4 mud. I first used 4 hi in drive, worked great. Than I read a story about trans overheating so I used 4 low. I really don't know which is better. I know 4 lo for rocks, and such but here it is FLAT. I read you should keep the a/c on so the fan will stay on. good idea? Some say 4 hi and leave esp on? Just some basic advice to get me started. Thanks
If you want to run muddy trails, go for it. It's your Jeep... use it like you want to. Who cares what anyone else thinks, right? I don't see you asking anyone's opinion if they like it or not in your original post...

I personally use 4-Lo as soon as I hit the trailhead and 2wd when I leave the trail. I have never had any problems whatsoever. If the trail is super muddy I'd recommend against going over about 10mph anyway. 4-Lo is used anywhere you need it to be used. 4-Hi is the quickest way to get stuck in mud, ESP will go nuts and start braking to reduce wheelspin - which is exactly what you don't want in the thick stuff. Just remember to take it nice and slow and maintain momentum (that's key). Try not to stop when in the deep stuff, if possible. If you feel yourself becoming "stuck" try cutting the steering wheel back and forth quickly in a "sawing" motion to help the tires bite into a more solid surface underneath.

I installed the AEV snorkel and will be extending my breather tubes very soon.

After you leave the trail, hose the mud&sand off the underside of the Jeep, paying special attention to the brakes. Just give everything a good solid cleaning with water. I also clean out the engine bay as soon as I get home to get the heavy stuff off. Make sure the radiator is clean and free of debris. I cover my alternator with a plastic grocery bag while spraying water.

Go out there and have some fun!

Last edited by MagnumD69; 03-29-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What about Diff fluids?

Great advice Magnum... What about the fluids after long submersions? So I really need to change diff fluids after a couple hours in the muck? That seams expensive, and I am looking to lengthen and re-route my vents.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
Great advice Magnum... What about the fluids after long submersions? So I really need to change diff fluids after a couple hours in the muck? That seams expensive, and I am looking to lengthen and re-route my vents.
Make sure your breather hoses are up, out of the waters way. You may want to think about extending them. They can allow water to funnel into the diff when submerged and then you will have to drain ad replace fluids. There are plenty of write ups on this. As for long periods in the muck. You should be alright if you don't have any leaks in the seal.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

After a mud run....be sure to wash out the radiator, especially behind the condenser, that mud will stop up the radiator which means no air flow and burn out your electric fan. And then the overheating really begins.
Oh yeah, it happened to me!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Side bar on cleaning the engine bay

Regarding cleaning under the hood, what is everything that should be covered (and how) before going to town with the hose? Can I really just power wash it all?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

X1000 on the ESP thing. Get it off and don't forget. Also, this mud down here is the most vicious and viscous mud I have ever seen. I go out with a YJ on 35's occasionally and it is about half the weight of the JK which sinks like a stone in the mud down here. I learned the ESP off rule after getting stuck twice...I absolutely hate the mud.

Quick Reply: mud advice for new guy