Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

mud advice for new guy

Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were submerged for a while above the tires (that's about the height of the breather tubes) you should change your differential fluids. It's super easy. I think my total fluid cost was just under $50 including a new drain bucket. There's a really good write-up on project-jk.com
If you have a limited slip differential (LSD), make sure you get duff fluid with "LS" on the label. It has a special additive that the LSD needs. I bought Mobil1 because it was $10 cheaper than Royal Purple at Autozone.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Have definitely had my share of experience in the mud. Alabama red mud is terrible and difficult to get cleaned off. I use 4 Lo when on the trails.
Typically cover up my CAI and dont spray directly on electronics.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

punch it!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MagnumD69
If you have a limited slip differential (LSD), make sure you get duff fluid with "LS" on the label. It has a special additive that the LSD needs. I bought Mobil1 because it was $10 cheaper than Royal Purple at Autozone.

no requirement to add LSD additives with Royal Purple Gear oil.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Strong Bad
Advice on the mud- stay away from it. It leads to breaking things and is a pain to clean out of all of the crevices you will inevitably get it into.
Agreed!!![/QUOTE]
I wish I lived where you guys do, mud is about all i have here. Oh and salt in the winter. mud is better than salt
Old 04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sure mud breaks things, but so does everything else off road and it's fun. Someone already said this above, but you you have a stick, DON'T shift while in the mud. The mud gets in between the clutch and the friction plates and wrecks the clutch. If you have an auto... no worries. Just keep it in 4 lo and hit it fast . IF you clean everything up afterward, you might not break anything....
Old 04-05-2011, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MagnumD69
If you want to run muddy trails, go for it. It's your Jeep... use it like you want to. Who cares what anyone else thinks, right? I don't see you asking anyone's opinion if they like it or not in your original post...

I personally use 4-Lo as soon as I hit the trailhead and 2wd when I leave the trail. I have never had any problems whatsoever. If the trail is super muddy I'd recommend against going over about 10mph anyway. 4-Lo is used anywhere you need it to be used. 4-Hi is the quickest way to get stuck in mud, ESP will go nuts and start braking to reduce wheelspin - which is exactly what you don't want in the thick stuff. Just remember to take it nice and slow and maintain momentum (that's key). Try not to stop when in the deep stuff, if possible. If you feel yourself becoming "stuck" try cutting the steering wheel back and forth quickly in a "sawing" motion to help the tires bite into a more solid surface underneath.

I installed the AEV snorkel and will be extending my breather tubes very soon.

After you leave the trail, hose the mud&sand off the underside of the Jeep, paying special attention to the brakes. Just give everything a good solid cleaning with water. I also clean out the engine bay as soon as I get home to get the heavy stuff off. Make sure the radiator is clean and free of debris. I cover my alternator with a plastic grocery bag while spraying water.

Go out there and have some fun!
magnum,
wanted to say thanks, when everyone else wanted the mudding to stop, it is important to learn how to do it properly, which i now seem to have a better understanding. on any good trail you never know what you'll run into, so having knowledge to properly proceed is key. So thanks.

Rob
Old 04-08-2011, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just take it easy, most things you can get through crawling, and if it is a manual DO NOT SHIFT with the tranny underwater! 4-Lo let's you start the car in gear, so if you need to go to reverse turn the engine off, shift, then start. Unless you have 35s like me and 3.21 gears

Reverse is geared too high if you ask me, on a side note
Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

a smart guy told me- "if you never go under 35 ya never get stuck."
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redcoals
magnum,
wanted to say thanks, when everyone else wanted the mudding to stop, it is important to learn how to do it properly, which i now seem to have a better understanding. on any good trail you never know what you'll run into, so having knowledge to properly proceed is key. So thanks.

Rob
No problem! Have fun out there!

Quick Reply: mud advice for new guy