Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

must have tools in your rig

Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default must have tools in your rig

This has probably already been brought up or asked but what must have tools would you recommend any other jeeper keep in their rig?
Old 11-05-2014, 08:17 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by filthymitts_
This has probably already been brought up or asked but what must have tools would you recommend any other jeeper keep in their rig?
The one you needed last time you were out on the trail and didn't have.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ade
The one you needed last time you were out on the trail and didn't have.
Well played.

I keep a few adjustable wrenches, vice grips, all my electricians tools, hammer, a full range of standard and metric sockets, 2 ratchets of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2", duct tape, electrical tape, zip ties and bubble gum
Old 11-05-2014, 10:16 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK505
Well played. I keep a few adjustable wrenches, vice grips, all my electricians tools, hammer, a full range of standard and metric sockets, 2 ratchets of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2", duct tape, electrical tape, zip ties and bubble gum
Would add JB weld the putty type to the list. Has been a Godsend on more than one occasion.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ade
Would add JB weld the putty type to the list. Has been a Godsend on more than one occasion.
I don't think I've ever heard of this. Can you explain what it is and what it's used for, please?
Old 11-06-2014, 02:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

SteelStik | Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty

Right from the jb weld web page. JB weld is really good stuff. "Fixed" a few things with this while I was in the military.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Reepo
SteelStik | Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty Right from the jb weld web page. JB weld is really good stuff. "Fixed" a few things with this while I was in the military.
What kind of magic is this? That sounds amazing. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 03:39 AM
JK Freak

WD-40, you can never have too much spray lube handy. If you have some money to spend on mods, a nice portable air compressor, you can use it for airing up tires, air tools, ect ect ect, can be 12v, battery clamp on, or even wall socket since the jk has a plug in the rear for that (at least the newer ones do).
Old 11-06-2014, 05:58 AM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK505
I don't think I've ever heard of this. Can you explain what it is and what it's used for, please?
As Reepo pointed out. You can fix tanks with it. (Not exactly, but I will put that spin on the word military)
Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

WD-40 is an old friend... I like to carry some 5 minute epoxy(Plastic weld), Permatex Right stuff(60sec gasket maker) for those of you who use RTV. I like Form-A-gasket personally. Bailing wire, various self tappers, Starting fluid, (you can use to set a bead with also). Don't forget the ball joint press if you running 35s and play hard. I'm on the fence about carrying a Hi-lift. My buddy carries a low profile floor jack and a few 4x4 wood blocks, it gets more use then my Hi lift.

Quick Reply: must have tools in your rig