Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

New (to me) 2011+ JK Dash RAM mount solution

Old 06-14-2018, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New (to me) 2011+ JK Dash RAM mount solution

Not sure if someone else had come up with this before me, but if they did I sure couldn’t find it. I’ve spent the past few weeks trying to figure out where I wanted to put the RAM mount for GAIA use while wheeling. The windshield sution cup solution wouldn’t work too well here in the toasty SW, and the cupholder solutions didn’t do it for me either since I use that space.

For this one you’ll need:

-Ram 1” ball with 1/4”-20 stud

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056I8SLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-2@ 1/4” x 1” washer

-1/4”-20 x 3/4” bolt

-1/4” split washer

Start by popping the dash off. I went ahead and installed the Quadratec wiring harness so I had some ignition switched 12v available for lights while I was at it. Set the 1” washer in the space below the window switches/cubby hole, and mark the bottom of your line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	r3gHrWV.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	786.2 KB
ID:	678191

Take the RAM mount, and using a 7/32 hex key, pull the threaded rod out.

Name:	oSmTzV1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	920.5 KB
ID:	678192

Stack the split washer and 2 flat washers on the bolt, pop it through, and tighten the ball down.

Name:	7NWbh5t.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	796.5 KB
ID:	678193

Name:	oUDkjTQ.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	709.8 KB
ID:	678194

Reinstall the dash, and BAM, you’ve got RAM.

Name:	8naTyca.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	877.7 KB
ID:	678195

Name:	ydgrxsA.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	678196

I’m pretty pleased with it. The mount does have some bounce in it, as do the other solutions that I’ve seen, but this one works well for me. An added bonus is that my phone can stay plugged into the vehicle for both music and power. I had some concerns about it breaking the plastic, but its about as sturdy of a spot as you can get bolting through plastic, and I’ll update the thread if anything bad happens.

Hope this helps somebody else!
Old 06-16-2018, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great! My setup bounces off road too. I think it's the nature of the ball clamp. I have a magnetic base for my phone and clamping cradle that surrounds my tablet for Gaia off road.

Quick Reply: New (to me) 2011+ JK Dash RAM mount solution