JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Off-Road 101 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/)
-   -   Is night wheeling a bad idea? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-off-road-101-97/night-wheeling-bad-idea-323649/)

MountJEEP 07-05-2015 12:14 PM

Is night wheeling a bad idea?

I kind of assumed that it would be like hiking - you're not supposed to go after dusk because it's more dangerous for you and those who have to get involved if you need to be rescued. Also might piss off the campsites if they're along that trail.

On the other hand I see a lot of Wranglers with extra lights and light bars and read a few threads about how awesome it is. I'd love to give it a try on an easy trail to see the stars and good views but was not sure if night wheeling was a bad idea.

TreyJK 07-05-2015 12:51 PM

It's a little more challenging, but I find it much more enjoyable. It's cooler, there's less people, and it's kinda eerie at times. Just make sure you're either traveling with another vehicle, or that someone back home knows where you are in case you get into trouble. Having a winch and/or shovel, while knowing how to safely recover yourself, is mandatory in my book. In my opinion, wheeling at night will make you a better driver as well. Try it out and you'll understand why jeeps have a lot of lights!

RoysRig 07-05-2015 05:16 PM

Never wheel a trail you've never done during the day at least once.

And the Oklahoma guys don't realize that wheeling in the mountains isn't hot in the dead of summer, so that's not an issue either. But seeing cliffs is. Also wildlife might be a little more active which might not be a good thing either. But what's the point of wheeling in mountains at night anyways? You're there for the views. Moab night wheeling is pretty cool though.

DKehler 07-06-2015 03:53 AM

The club I wheel with rarely wheels in the day during the summer. 11X degrees out there. But we're only going 25 mph to the trail and 4 mph on the trail. X2 on not wheeling alone or be familiar with the trail.

RoysRig 07-06-2015 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by DKehler (Post 4118888)
The club I wheel with rarely wheels in the day during the summer. 11X degrees out there. But we're only going 25 mph to the trail and 4 mph on the trail. X2 on not wheeling alone or be familiar with the trail.

Are you kidding me, it's still 100+ at midnight there in the summer. If I were you guys I would find some caves to wheel in. :beer::hitfan:

951Rubi 07-06-2015 07:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 617092

Night wheeling is a blast. It adds a new element of difficulty to any trail. We recently went on a night run at our favorite rock crawling trail. Here we are staging up.
Don't go alone, have adequate lighting, and use your head.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

JoeK 07-07-2015 07:05 AM

night wheeling is awesome, like others said it brings a whole new element to off roading. Just be cautious of your surroundings (especially reversing).

BillR 07-21-2015 05:19 PM

I've never been a fan of night wheeling. You lose some of your depth perception and (for me) it's tougher to see holes and dips in the trail. :eek2: I prefer to see exactly what I'm doing while I'm Jeeping.
To each his own...:thumbsup:

951Rubi 07-21-2015 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by BillR (Post 4124818)
I've never been a fan of night wheeling. You lose some of your depth perception and (for me) it's tougher to see holes and dips in the trail. :eek2: I prefer to see exactly what I'm doing while I'm Jeeping. To each his own...:thumbsup:

Hey, people have to put their expensive mall crawler lights to good use haha

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Cutman 07-21-2015 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 951rubi (Post 4124822)
hey, people have to put their expensive mall crawler lights to good use haha

sent from my iphone using jk-forum

bam!!!