Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

off roading smart

Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off roading smart

A few weeks ago I was. Riding with some friends and I said I was going to turn around because the trail was far to muddy and wet and no one was making it through and there was a fair amount of vehicle damage from stumps being done am I not a true jeeper for not wanting to risk body damage to my jeep if I know probability of it happening is higher than normal when off roading?? Also is it bad that usually once I get home I wash my jeep to help protect from excessive rust??
Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's your Jeep. You make the decisions.

Donnie
Old 05-11-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

To be honest to all depends on what kind of Jeep you have, and how much money you have to fix stuff.

My Jeep is also my DD, so I take better care of it then I would a trail Jeep. That being said their is nothing wrong with not wanting to run a trail the most people are getting a fair amount of vehicle damage on. I like leaving Jeep dirty, and you should have any problems with rust unless you have shiny metal showing. If that's the case you need to put panit over it to keep it from rusting

Mudding in deep mud isn't the same as rock crawling. You don't need a good Jeep to go mudding. Also you tend to brake a lot of stuff mudding, or have a fair amount of vehicle damage due to stumps and other things you can't see under the mud.

Bottom line is find out what you like to do with you Jeep and do. Their is nothing wrong with only doing the kinds of trails that you like to do.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ya its my dd as well so I think I know its limits ot what I'm comfortable with.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

You don't have to destroy your jeep to have fun! I'll go anywhere I can , but I won't Abuse it to the point of damage. If I wanted to beat the crap out of my rig I'd by something old and already beat up. I've wheeled off road i'n the mountains and had a blast and never broke a thing!!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I can't say that I have never broken anything, but the stuff that I have broken all happened from me being stupid, and following people down trails that I wasn't set up to drive without getting damage.

I love rocks, puddles, and streams! They can keep their deep mud! I have done deep mud once and the was enough for me.

I keep pics of my Jeep in Moab on my phone. When ever someone starts to give me shit I pull out my phone, and show them the pics. Most the time that shuts them right up.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenenvey
You don't have to destroy your jeep to have fun! I'll go anywhere I can , but I won't Abuse it to the point of damage. If I wanted to beat the crap out of my rig I'd by something old and already beat up. I've wheeled off road i'n the mountains and had a blast and never broke a thing!!
Exactly!

If you want to buy an old trail jeep, or even if you want to buy a brand new one and beat the hell out of it great! If you buy either one of those and only want to wheel it to the limits you are comfortable with and try and prevent damage to it great!

If someone thinks you should be doing it differently, tell them to pay of the dam thing then
Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Garyyth
Exactly!

If you want to buy an old trail jeep, or even if you want to buy a brand new one and beat the hell out of it great! If you buy either one of those and only want to wheel it to the limits you are comfortable with and try and prevent damage to it great!

If someone thinks you should be doing it differently, tell them to pay of the dam thing then
Old 05-11-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

When in doubt, pull it out.

Don't fall for the " It's simple man you can do it" line.

You pay the note on it, you wreck it, it's yours to still pay for. The best ffroading in the world, is where you get to sit in the passenger seat quietly and enjoy the amazing ride.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ive had a few jeeps in my life and I do find myself worrying less about damage when "the honeymoon" is over. I have'nt done off-road in a few years, but most would say I off road daily driving in Chicago (Pot holes and multiple feet of snow annually).

I have done some trails in the past, but nothing that would put my daily driver in to much jeopardy. When the big snow-fall comes and im traveling to the nearest snowboard resorts looking at those "cages" stuck in the ditch, I remember why I love my Jeep.

To me, my rig is like the Harley Davidson of automobiles. Nothing better then a great ride with the top down and aftermarket galore... it's a Jeep Thing!

Quick Reply: off roading smart