Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

off roading smart

Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by COZDONO
It's your Jeep. You make the decisions.

Donnie
My thoughts exactly
Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

My motto is you should never do anything you're not comfortable doing. It's your ride and your more likely to screw something up if you're not feeling good about the path you're taking. I think it's a good idea to get the mud off after wheeling. That stuff can cause problems later on down the road if you don't. But like others have said, it's your jeep, you make the decisions
Old 05-21-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nmwranglerx
My motto is you should never do anything you're not comfortable doing. It's your ride and your more likely to screw something up if you're not feeling good about the path you're taking. I think it's a good idea to get the mud off after wheeling. That stuff can cause problems later on down the road if you don't. But like others have said, it's your jeep, you make the decisions
Agreed. It always easier to get things cleaned up right away and make sure nothing is broken.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't do things I'm not comfortable doing. if your with guys that take risks that is fine but make sure you follow only if there are bypasses to the extreme or hard routes.. if not you will almost force yourself to do something you don't want to do. Watch, think about the lines and then you decide not the the guy...
it's your Jeep and your Jeep Bill.
I personally like washing my Jeep after getting it dirty... like it dirty like it clean..

Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Real friends don't make you do things you don't want to do. If you reach your limits that should be fine with them.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Nothing wrong with knowing your limits. People trash Jeeps and injure themselves because they don't know their limits (And sometimes they end up on Youtube with a million views).

When I flew airplanes, I was taught how to treat a plane. I was told to know my limits. I was told there are Old pilots and there are Bold Pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots. I was always told "Real pilots fly in weather". I flew in weather, but even I knew what kind of weather was my limit. One guy had a card with a square cut out in it. It said "Hold up to sky, if square is blue, then go fly, if not, then stay on the ground". These principles apply to Jeeps too, in my opinion.

Emotions can get the best of you in any situation. People will act out of fear, pride, and pressure. Our Jeeps are capable of a lot of things, but at what cost? If you're made of money and are safe, then do what you think you can afford. Whether or not your Jeep is a Daily Driver or strictly for the trails, take care of it and it will take care of you.

I personally don't wanna be stopped on a trail for hours trying to help someone out because they thought they'd be Mr. Cool and destroy their Jeep because they didn't know any limits. On the last two Wheeling trips I've been on, people have cut out early. It sucks cuz it's more fun with a larger group, but that's all. I don't give them crap, neither should anyone else. Those that do, usually don't know what they're talking about and don't understand that everyone has their limits. Kinda like 13th grade if you ask me. (yeah, that's how I really feel haha)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

I have to be honest with you, rocks scare me. I'm kind of new to wheeling and mine is a DD so I really can't afford to destroy it. I do go on the trails but I'm quick to turn around when I don't feel comfortable. I don't let it bother me its my jeep.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

I agree with others on this thread. My Unlimited Rubi is my daily driver and I've taken it on some pretty severe trails. I turned around when I wasn't comfortable but that being said, I've also gone over things and on trails with no damage because I went slow and picked my lines carefully. Other, well built Jeeps left components on the trail because their right foot got a bit too heavy. Have fun with your rig!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by El Zorro
I agree with others on this thread. My Unlimited Rubi is my daily driver and I've taken it on some pretty severe trails. I turned around when I wasn't comfortable but that being said, I've also gone over things and on trails with no damage because I went slow and picked my lines carefully. Other, well built Jeeps left components on the trail because their right foot got a bit too heavy. Have fun with your rig!
That's a good point... it's not always WHERE you go but more about HOW you drive while you're there. I'm with you; I take it easy, pick my lines, and take it slow through the tough spots. In most cases it's not necessary to get on the gas so much that you end up breaking something. It's always more fun to take you're time and be able to drive away rather than having to spend your whole day repairing your rig on the trail.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default a fine line sometimes

very well said all !
We all know that there is a fine line between "going for it" and breakin your Jeep.
Deep mud can be tough cause you often have to get into it to keep movin and you dont know what lies under it ( unless your followin ). That said rocks are good cause you can see where you going ( get the right line) and you NEED to go real slow...hence "krawlin".
Like most mine is DD and with 3600 miles on her I'm always watchin that fine line.
I keep her clean during the week and muddy on weekends....she likes it that way.
Keep wheelin ! Go fot it ! BUT BE SAFE AND SMART......a fine line
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0516.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	164309   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0510.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	164310  

Quick Reply: off roading smart