Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Paint Protection

Old 03-06-2016, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protection

Bought a brand new 2015 Rubicon back in October, so I'm still at the stage where it's my new baby and I still care about the paint.

What do you folks use while on the trail to protect your paint against pin striping and scratches? I've seen some of the magnetic skin kits that you can buy, but wasn't sure how well they would work after multiple uses, or if they even work in the first place.

I know eventually I'll have to accept that damage is just part of the game, but I'd at least like to try and minimize that damage the best I can.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery chainsaw and hedge trimmer

Don't go down ATV trails or take a wrong turn down one. I have pinstripes due to that.

Bring a battery chainsaw 40v kind Ryobi makes one you can keep it in the back without worrying about 2 cycle fumes. Paper bag it though it still needs chain oil.

Pick lines that don't come close to brush if you can.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepJK_Hfx
Bought a brand new 2015 Rubicon back in October, so I'm still at the stage where it's my new baby and I still care about the paint.

What do you folks use while on the trail to protect your paint against pin striping and scratches? I've seen some of the magnetic skin kits that you can buy, but wasn't sure how well they would work after multiple uses, or if they even work in the first place.

I know eventually I'll have to accept that damage is just part of the game, but I'd at least like to try and minimize that damage the best I can.
For the love of God, when you put your doors back on, hook the straps FIRST then plug them in. I dimpled one side of my hood and almost cried. Now I laugh at all the other Jeeps that have done the same thing.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cowel ding

Lucky for me I got the RR snorkel so it replaced the cowling. Then I moved the trail rated badge to the cowling on the drivers side. To hide the dent.... This was before my jack mount was put in.

I see Jeeps with the cowling dimple/dent all the time.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman
For the love of God, when you put your doors back on, hook the straps FIRST then plug them in. I dimpled one side of my hood and almost cried. Now I laugh at all the other Jeeps that have done the same thing.
Been there, done that

Last edited by 16FW; 03-07-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

hahahaha... I have this too... heck, at this point I view that dimple as a sign of using the jeep as it should be. Doors OFF!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeepJK_Hfx
Bought a brand new 2015 Rubicon back in October, so I'm still at the stage where it's my new baby and I still care about the paint. What do you folks use while on the trail to protect your paint against pin striping and scratches? I've seen some of the magnetic skin kits that you can buy, but wasn't sure how well they would work after multiple uses, or if they even work in the first place. I know eventually I'll have to accept that damage is just part of the game, but I'd at least like to try and minimize that damage the best I can.
Get yourself some skinz! They are magnetic and cover pretty big portion of the jeep. They are pricey, but I wish I new about them when I first got my jeep.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my jeep with 4 miles on it and it already had the dimples. The paint wasn't cracked or anything so i thought it was supposed to be there until my first time taking it in for a recall and they tried giving me sh** for it and I had never taken the doors off yet. So I blame the delivery driver or someone at the dealership i bought it from for my dimples.

I have a bit of pin striping from narrow trails. McGuire's scratch removal (2.0 it think) helps fade the scratches a little but you can still see them in certain lighting.

They make those trail skins now that are pretty much a clear wrap that can be peeled off. (Edit: Damn i guess they're magnets. kinda cool but not cheap)

Limb risers help with the scratches on the hood.

Last edited by MavisJk; 03-07-2016 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just use a bunch of decals a less expensive solution lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3910571256.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	639914  
Old 03-07-2016, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another vote for trailskinz. You can even get custom skinz with patterns you like but you need to spend a little more.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection